Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

STL Chord Length

duisburger

hello everyone!

i want to find out on what basis ProE suggests a chordlength when translating a file to STL. A value exists in the field which can be varied. any ideas how this value is calculated by the program??

thanx for the help,

duisburger.

The chord length is based on the model accuracy. If you use absolute accuracy you can only set the chord length as small as the accuracy. If you use relative accuracy then I assume it's based on your model geometry.

Hello Duisburger

I send STL files for Rapid Prototyping on a regular basis. I set the Chord Hight to 0 and the Angle Control to 1. What I find happens is, the Chord Hight can not be 0 so Pro-E will put in the lowest value for that model. The resulting SLS parts are very nice with smooth curves. Hope this helps

Steven

Chord length and angle control absolutely depend on your smooth surface requirements. The smaller they are, the smoother you could achieve. But Chord length limit is 0.0005 (as far as I remember)

For normal Rapid Prototype, Chord length = 0.01 and angle control = 0.01 is good enough

Best regards

ndk said:
Chord length and angle control absolutely depend on your smooth surface requirements. The smaller they are, the smoother you could achieve. But Chord length limit is 0.0005 (as far as I remember)

For normal Rapid Prototype, Chord length = 0.01 and angle control = 0.01 is good enough

Best regards

by adjusting the part accuracy, you are able to set Chord Length lower than 0.0005 but doing these will increase the regeneration time and file size.

again, it depends on your model anyway..

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back