Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Spinal Bend on Assembly

HYSG

I am trying to bend an assembly of pipes according to a specific trajectory of a hole. I was successful in bending one pipe using spinal bend feature to the required trajectory, however this success could not be repeated with the pipe assembly.

Spinal bend feature was not available in assembly mode, so I converted the pipe assembly into a part by saving a copy of shrinkwrap. I tried the shrinkwrap with merged solid; managed to bent the pipe, however the mating surfaces are no longer present. I need these mating surfaces for FEA later on.

Hence, I tried performing shrinkwrap with surfaces, however, I wasn't able to select the entire solid/quilt to be bent during the SpinalBend process(as the pipes are not merged). So, to rectify this, I created a quilt of the entire pipe within the shrinkwrap. That way, I could select the quilt representing the entire pipe to be bent during Spinal Bend. To my disappointment, only the top first pipe got bent, with the bottom pipe wasn't affected.

Essentially, my actual working model is an assembly of pipes as long as 10,000 ft, to be "assembled" into a hole with specific trajectory. That is why I need to be able to bend the pipe at the assembly mode. I was able to use the "Deform" feature in Solidworks to bend the pipe assembly as a part, but the problem with Solidworks is that it cannot manage such a huge assembly.

I've been meddling with this for a week now, so anyone with an idea how to go about this, please write back
smiley4.gif

Please advise.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back