Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

solidworks to wf2 for modifications

arroyopr

Hello everyone:

I have a solidworks prt imported to wf2 and need to convert it to wf2 so I can modify it. If there is way to do this,can anyone help me please.

Thank you in advance.

arroyopr

From whatI know youcannot bring a part file from one cad program to another without losing the history of the file.

You could try paying a conversion firm that has the program to do it but even then I don't think it comes out completely converted to the other software.

If you want to bring the part over to WF 2 create a stepor parasolid file.
Edited by: Moroso

Thank you for the reply:

Well there's an option in solidworks that allows you to save as pro-e prt. but like you said it doesn't have history,model tree or parent ,child relations. But i could add features to the part and that's about it.Anyways I got the job done.

thanks again regards

arroyopr.

I am facing the same issue as this thread. How did you solev the problem? Or what do you think is the best way to get a solidworks 2006 file into wildfire 2.0?

Thanks in advance

Just save the sld.part to any of the pro-e file (pro-e neutral,igs, step, parasolid, etc.) and open it. then start insertting datums, axis .cys and your ready to go, keep in mind you are only can add features not modify.

Oh, I thought you had figured out how to import the history. Solidworks can import proe files with most of the history intact. So, I thought you had found a way to export solidworks part with most of its history into a proe file. Oh well.

thx,
Moto

Sorry, never went that far. But i heard that there're software that could do that. Then again I never bother looking for them.

Hi,

I am not a Solid Works guy, but I have heard that it can save the model in proe format with the history in model tree(most features will be converted to revolve and extrude).If it is a simple model then I think you can do thatorif it is a complex model like casting model etc JUST FORGET IT you will have to do it again.

Regards,

Deepak Bhat

yes I agree with Deepak. SW can open proe files provided it is a simple
model. When your part go a bit complicated, it will be open as imported
geometry (dummy feature)

I typically export step files to ProE and then nsert them into my template part. I rebuild the geometry to match the STEP and then delete the import data to ensure no parent child relation ship exist. I do this for several of my clients. If you need a quote please PM me.

Joe Paul

Focal Design.

That is exactly what I've done. Next thing I am going to try is to export the sw sketches into wf2. I figure that as long as I can get the sketches of each feature, rebuilding the solid model will be a piece of cake, or pie
smiley1.gif

Moto

Here's an update for those still or will be interested: Can't export solidworks 2006 sketches directly into Wildfire 2.0. Doh!

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back