Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

solidworks or Pro/E

You mean how fast you learn to use SW or POR/E?

If thats the question than i would defenately say SW. This is caused by the horrible UI of PRO/E so it's far less intuitive to use.

well, i need a year of 3d modeling and i have option of solidworks or inventor. I know i asked bout pro e. my intions are to compare inventor or solidworks to pro e because i have done pro e and i hated it. i dont want to hate the others. haha

thanks

They are both fairly similar. If you can use one, you can figure out the other. I have used Solidworks for 5 years. I used Inventor for 3 years before that. The switch from Inventors to Solidworks only took a week or so before I felt confident with Solidworks.<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />
When I switched I did prefer Inventor but I haven

I agree with cherisef and roblom. If you are familiar with 1 type of CAD-software, you should be able to use other types of software too. I think the biggest issue is the UI. Many features/tools have other descriptions/names and are placedwithin other menus. Once you are familiar with that.. the rest will follow.

Raoul
Edited by: Raoul-RW

ok cool. i think im gonna take a year of inventor! I am in advanced autocad right now and i am almost done with my first year of drafting. I have the opertunity to learn inventor and solidworks but i think inventor will be best because i know the professor really well and i LOVE his teaching style. He teaches you and shows you how to do a drawing and then gives you like 10 drawings to do. after those ten, he bumps up the difficulty with another drawing or so that we follow along with and then he gives another 10 practice drawings. haha. Of course he is in the classroom the entire time to help us out. He is designer and drafter for Hill airforce base here in utah!

One thing you may want to consider, however, is that I think there are many more companies using SW than Inventor. In other words, SW training on your resume may be more valuable than Inventor training.

Doug has a good point. If you are looking for a well rounded resume you might want to take the basic/beginner class in Solidworks as well. Also, since your school has seats of both you could just do some extra projects in Solidworks for your portfolio. Never underestimate the value of a well rounded portfolio.

DOH, thats a great point. I forgot about my resume`haha

All right, that puts a new spin on things. Ill see what i can do to take at least a basic SW class. I just hope it is easier than PRO/E was. I posted a whole unch of times on this forum for PRO/E because it made no sense to me at all and was not user friendly at all.

thanks and sorry for late reply. Been busy busy busy!

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back