Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

solid modeling contours

Hi I have a colleague who builds guitars via CNC. He wants a solid model up a les paul guitar. The guitar shapes are overall basic however the top is a generally hand carved

http://goocarts.com/3dburst/new/new_1.jpg

Can someone recommend an approach to this in pro/creo? I don't want to use surfaces
thanks

maybe with some variety of sweeps and playing around with some sketches to constrain the curve when it goes around the perimeter.

or even just play around with some guide sketches and then use different radii or chamfers that use the sketches as constraints by adjusting the radius not to be a constant value but to always be tangent to a particular curve.

just a couple thoughts.

Whats the reason to not use surfaces? If you are new into surfacing, and want help with that, just give it a shot and post questions here if you get stuck!

//Tobias

it would be very hard if not impossible to do this accurately using solid modelling. Please see the attached for a rough method of surfacing using boundary blends etc (you will have to resume all in the 'operations' menu)

also have a look at this link with a solid model of a les paul custom: https://grabcad.com/library/les-paul-style-guitar

hope this helps
regards

Attachments

• body-1.prt.zip
    81.1 KB · Views: 17
  • les-paul.jpg
    les-paul.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Whats the reason to not use surfaces? If you are new into surfacing, and want help with that, just give it a shot and post questions here if you get stuck!

//Tobias

I just wanted to try solids. I'm OK with surfaces. I used to use Alias back in the day . But I'm fairly up to speed with ISDX and I like it. However I was interested in the solids since I wanted to see if it was possible. Can you use the NC module with ISDX surfaces what about mechanica? I think Pro/surface works but I don't really like Pro/surface

thanks

Last edited:

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back