Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Slowness w/Family Tables in Large Assys

ERamsey

We recently have come across a problem with our hardware library with inserting our tabled parts into larger assemblies. The problem is a "slowness"in the stepbetween picking the part andpicking the surfaces we want the hardware to reference.

Basically we click insert part, pick which generic and then select the instance and right after that point Pro-E goes into some sort of deep think mode. After abit it finally lets us choose the mating surfaces and such.

We have not had this issue before with the smaller assemblies but now we have started assembling the smaller assemblies together to make a larger one.The tabled hardware seems to be going off into space for a bit before allowing us to assemble it. Sometimes it takes anywhere from 20 seconds to 1 minute or 2 on others. This used to happen instantly now it's annoying.

Our hardware is only 1 level deep (i.e. Lengths of the bolts for the instances)and they use component interfaces (Insert & mate). We are currently running on WF3. Parts are also set to read only within Intralink.

Has this happened to anyone before or is there some sort of setting we are missing?Any suggestions are welcomed.

Are you using interfaces? It can take Pro/E a long time to evaluate all the potential interface match's in large assemblies. Also, you might want to try hiding or suppressing a lot of the components in the various assemblies prior to assembling.

We started adding the interfaces (Mate/Insert) to help ease some of the assembly. (i.e. allowing us to just pick where we need to instead of chasing the part around).

We would like to keep the interfaces on the models if possible, but if it causes too much slow down we might just take them off. Unless we can get away with suppressing models from earlier assemblies to help with our assembling of hardware.

I test some of this out. If there is anything else I could potentially do instead of removing the component interfaces, I would love to hear about it.

Thanks for your input.

I've had this problem on some parts and not others in the same assembly eg cap head screws are fine but washers are not.

Anyway to get around the wait i just click the place manually icon in the dashboard to clear the interface constrint tool and then click on the interface constraint icon to re-activate,allow the warning,and it lets me pick the surfaces immediately.

I can't tell you why however it just does.

Have you folks tried the following config.pro option?

comp_interface_placement and set the value to interface_to_geom

This appears to have solved our issues with slowness in large assys without the need to remove the component interfaces.

This slowness is caused in WF3.0 because this release of the software now contains the ability forcomponent interfaces in parts to be set to the type of either 'Receiving', 'Placement'or 'Both'. PTC refers to it as AssemblySense because it can intelligently seek out possible placement locations on parts in the assembly that also contain 'Receiving' interfaces making assembly quicker (in theory that is; until you get to a large assy
smiley17.gif
).

By default WF3.0 automatically reverts to the placement type calledinterface to interface in the dashboard when assembling componentsif the assembly contains any parts with 'Receiving' type component interfaces (the white dots will show). If the assembly doesn't then it reverts to interface togeom in the dashboard thus requiring you to place the part by picking just the assy constraints thereby still making it a bit quicker to place using the interfaces that way....and of course you still have ther manual method of constraining parts as well.

I knew there had to be a setting somewhere but didn't know where to look.

I appreciate the direction and I hope this fixes the issue.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back