Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

sketcher, axis point

dsergison

make axis point available to sketcher outside of the protrusion command.

The "best practice" is now to sketch first and extrude/revolve/etc.... later.We just lost the ability to sketch an axis point, even for a protrusion, unless we start with insert extrude protrusion.

P.S.

(I don't care how long the axis is drawn. nobody does. just make one and let me dimension it directly!)

P.P.S.

(nobody would complain if you were allowed to make one in a revolved part either. just pop it innormal to the sketch plane)

edited spelling and added the word extrude
Edited by: dsergison

Can you explain what you are trying to do again. I have not seen any loss of sketcher point function.

Where do you try to create this point?

when youbegin a featureby selecting theicon extrude feature, and you have located your sketch planes etc.. and are in sketcher: from the pulldown menus Sketch, Axis Point is available.

When you begin a featurewith the Icon Sketch Toolthen Sketch, Axis Point is NOT AVAILABLE.

Dan

Dan,

I see it is gray in the pull down menu but it is available in the icon list on the right side of the screen, under the spline icon,in either case.

Dean

that's not the same thing at all. that's just a point. an axis point generates an included axis in the part. (A_123, etc.....)

an axis point is far more usefull because you can then reference other downsream features to it, also very handy for several detailing tasks.

Dan,

I get it. My old school hat says sure why is it not available? But if I think about it, relative to the new way of modeling, it kinda makes sense. In the case of an extrude it stands to reason an axis would be the centralfeature of the extrusion. Contrastingly if an off-center extrusion is made then it makes no sense.But, with just a "sketch" you may not extrude it. You may use the sketch for a revolve or a blend. So if the axis point is an internalfeature that is not extruded then what happens to it? I guess you will need to add the axis in after the fact through a point.

I know it's lame and does not help youbut half the functionality of WF is lame IMO.

Sorry I could not add any value this morning.

Dean

PLEASE read my first post!

I'm not talking about round extruded stuff. let me paint a picture for ya. hold on...

you want to draw acoverto an irrregular shaped thing that has a bunch of bolts to hold it on.you want to locate all those holes as part of the first few features because everything else is going to depend on them. You could have just started with an extruded solid. and poped in axis points at allthe locations of all the holes (to be). then later on down the road you could consttrain all sorts of features for bosses and stuff to the axis you poped in the first feature. HANDY EH'

OTHERWISE, (and this really sucks) you get to create a load of independant axis by offset planes, or a table array of points with all kinds of axis through and normal, or a bunch of circles as datum cuves with a seperate datum point at the center and a seperate axis through point and normal, etc.... but no way to actually SKECTH and directly dimension them.

IM(not so)HO

you should be able to sketch axis points any dang time you want to! Not just in protrusions, and not only if you start with EXTRUDE commands. FOR ANYTHING. Especially datum curves.

I think the reason the axis point is grayed out is the axis has nothing to reference off of if there is no geometry defined, the axis has to know how long it is going to be.

But if you create a point then an axis through the point it takes the length of the default datum planes if no other geometry is defined on the screen, soI don't know why a sketched axis point couldn't do that.

Moroso, EXACTLY. I want it to justexist!Any length will do. the length of the default planes would be fine, really tiny would be fine too, so would prompting you for a length.

Hy dsergison
I think u need to creat sketched datum points. Just try it and tell me ur problem solved or not???
Zaki

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back