Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

sketch onto spherical surface

Phil182

I need to project a sketch onto a spherical surface. I have been able to do a similar thing onto a cylindrical surface using the wrap feature, but when I try to do the same thing with a spherical surface, it won't work. Is there any way of doing this?

Phil,

I believe the wrap tool works on a cylindrical surface because it has curvature in only one direction. For the spherical surface, the options are:

<ul>[*]Spline on Surface: 3DSketch spline on face of surface
[*]Intersection Curve: creates sketched entities where selected surfaces intersect[*]Projected Curve (sketch onto face): project 2D curve onto face of surface[/list]
If these techniques do not work, can you upload the model or a similar model? I use SolidWorks Premium 2009.

Chris

www.appianwaytech.com

Phil,

Do you need to create geometry on that spherical surface, or do you want to just project a sketch for visualization? Do you feel more comfortable in solid or surface modeling techniques?

At the very least, we'll need a picture of the sketch to help you any further.

Jim

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back