Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

SIMPLIFIED REP PARAMETERS

Dan10

I have 4 top level assemblies each with its ownsimplified representations of a sub assembly. Each rep needs it's own name for the populted BOM in the top level assemblydrawing. Can I assign a description parameter to each of the simplified rep sub assemblies? Or can I create a family table and add the simplified reps to it?

You may want to rethink how you are doing this. Simplified reps are intended to be used to simplify display not make subassemblies. As far as I know parameters can't be assigned to simplified reps. Try taking the subassembly and making a family table of that. You can add thecomponents that are removed as family table columns along with the assembly parameter Description. For each instance set the components that areincluded and type a description.

I am not making sub assemblies with these reps. We make safes. I have door assemblies and body assemblies. Different safes have different colored parts and different handles, etc. For example I have simplified reps for door 1 with a gold handle and door 2 with a silver handle. The handle is one part with a family table to specify colors. The door and body are assembled together in a top level assembly. I can either make one assembly with two reps for colors or two assemblies. I need a drawing for each model, but I can't assign a parameter description to the simplied reps to show up accordingly in each drawing. I tried creating 2 family tables in the door assembly. One for the silverhandle and another for the gold,but I can't put instances into a family table.We have decided to move on and make two assemblies. Thanks for the information.

Here is something to try from the information that you have given. Create a single assembly with the door and the two handle instances in the same assembly. Create a family table and addthree columns that are the two handles and the door assembly parameter Description. Create two rows for the doors and select Y or N depending on which one you want selected and type your description for each. For what you are describing you may also want to look at interchange assemblies.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back