Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

show different sub asm orientations

Orion07

Lets say I have a top level assembly of a box created from two other sub-assemblies. One sub-assembly is the sides of the box. the other sub-asm is the hinged lid. In a drawing, how do I show one view with the lid open and another view with the lid closed.

I'm using WF 3.0.

Thanks!

I would use family tables, have an angular dimension controlling the opening state of the lid and then each instance would have a different angle to show the different positions of the lid.

You can then add each instance into the drawing to show the open and closed states.

There may be other ways to do this but that's the way I'd do it.
smiley9.gif

michael3130 said:
I would use family tables, have an angular dimension controlling the opening state of the lid and then each instance would have a different angle to show the different positions of the lid.

You can then add each instance into the drawing to show the open and closed states.

There may be other ways to do this but that's the way I'd do it.
smiley9.gif

Okay... I kinda figured that would be the answer. I need to figure out how to use family tables and instances.

I ended up using a crude method of just inserting a picture.

Thanks

I would assemble the lid using mechanism constraints. Select appropriate references for the angle and determine a regenerate angle. Also set the limits so the lid stops when it is closed and when it is open as far as it can. Create a snapshot at each of the positions you want to show on the drawing (make them available for the drawing). Create your views and show the position you want in each by choosing an explode state.

One thing I have done is show the assembly in both positions in the "same" view. I do this by assigning a view origin in two views with the same orientation. While the views are appart, I set each to the desired position. I then change the display of the moved components to phantom opaque. Then assign the same position to both views.

I would change the constraint in the assembly showing the angle you need for the lid. Then make a snapshot of that. Put the lid back to where it was. Then in the drawing add the master then add another view and change that to show the snaphot which you can dimension and do whatever you need.

Gary

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back