Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

show and erase dimensions

hornj

Is show and erase dimensions really helpful? Is it a rule of thumb to always try to use show and erase in drawing. I guess what my question is how many people really use show and erase?

Thanks

Yes, its helpful and it saves your time. About how many people using it, strange. I don't think there is some survey done for this.

Same things you can do with Swept Blend and VSS. Its th user who decides which to use.

Israr

Rule of thumb where I work is to show as many driving dimensions (dimensions in your model) on the face of the drawing as possible. It is so nice to pull up a drawing where the dimensions are driving dimensions, not created dimensions and make the changes on the drawing without ever pulling up the part. Of course, there should be relationships in the part controlling if one dimension is changed and other geometry has the same dimensional value, it should follow the change made on the drawing. It is so much more difficult to attempt to work on a part change where the dimensions on the drawing are created dimensions. You can go to the model and the dimension scheme does not match the drawing and you are stuck trying to figure out which dimensions in the model need changed. Once you get used to showing dimensions, you can go through a 100 feature part to create the drawing in less than a day. Also, you ensure proper design intent by redefining features, if necessary to display properly on your drawing.

I think you will find a very strong preference on this forum for using shown dimensions whenever possible. It really pays dividends down the road when you have to make the inevitable modifications.

Absolutely! I dread to think how long it would take to create each dimension individually .... plus the potential conflicts that would be missed with mating parts.

Lesley

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back