Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Sheet Metal Assemblies differences from a regular assembly

Dianmarr

Hello,
I was asked a specific question on an interview as to whether or not I have done assemblies with a lot of sheet metal parts. I am currious as to why he might ask this, I have worked with many sheet metal parts adding them into assemblies with other extruded parts but not solely sheet metal parts. I also have been working with Pro/engineer for 12 years... so I am experienced. What am I not reading between the lines with this question?
Dianmarr

Wondering if it might be a 'Pro E' specific question (which I kinda doubt) or if he is asking whether you know how to do sheet metal assemblies in general...

Hi Wogz,
I had just taken and passed their sheet metal test. Is there a difference in sheetmetal assemblies and regular assemblies in Pro/e? I have always used sheet metal to create my parts then added them to my assemblies. Your thoughts are appreciated.
Thanks

There are some differences between sheetmetal PARTS and standard parts but I don't see any difference between ASSEMBLIES with sheetmetal parts and any other assembly.

I know my current & previous bosses have asked if I can design in Sheet metal, meaning, knowing bends & bend radii, tabs, PEMs, corner overlaps, what the flat pattern will look like, how to economise parts per / nested on sheet, safe parts vs. pointy sharp cornered parts, etc... Wondering if this is what he was after.. (Which is what I was referring to)..

I've seen one co-worker expect a ±0.01 tolerance over 7 bends.. And others who design a part such as a square tube (4 bends) and expect a 0" gap at the seam.. Perforating a sheet with a billion holes and not expect any stretch.. Or little lip bends that require sacrificial material, either designed in the part to be removed later, or a secondary piece used to hold / back the part while in the brake..

"Just because you can draw it, doesn't mean you can make it"

Last edited:

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back