Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

shading with edges

hoover33

I discovered long ago that for me, shading with edges on makes it much easier to see what's going on in a part model you are designing. There will be certain angles you view the part from that make certain undercut features hard to see, but having the edges turned on makes them more noticeable. However, I recently had an even better idea. I was playing with an all orange part model and noticed that turning all surfaces red, while leaving the part color orange, would make the surfaces and edges be different colors, making features even more obvious.

I've attached a picture illustrating my point. It's easy to see in this example how turning the edges on makes it better looking. This example doesn't show very well how the second change helps that much, but I assure you there are cases where it helps.

So I guess my question is, is there any way anyone knows of to modify a color or create some sort of rule that automatically will allow this sort of coloration to happen (without having to individually pick each surface and change the color)?

edges.jpg

I guess that what you really want to know is how to change the edge colors and perhaps also enhance them.

I cant give that answer, sorry, but I'd surelike to know that as well
Edited by: ankarl

ankarl said:
I guess that what you really want to know is how to change the edge colors and perhaps also enhance them.

I've been searching for a long time, but haven't found anything. My guess is that it's just not possible (yet
smiley2.gif
)

sander said:
ankarl said:

I've been searching for a long time, but haven't found anything. My guess is that it's just not possible (yet
smiley2.gif
)

Any updates here? Over the past few years I became a CATIA V5 user and was very happy with their black edges on solid geometry of any color (the speed of rotation and general dynamic display was also excellent for having all the edges shown, compared to Pro/E).

I'm now a Wildfire user again (good and bad, compared to CATIA) and am wondering if there's been any developments allowing shaded edge color changes, in the recent versions. Doesn't look like it, to me.
smiley19.gif

edges are a lighter shade of the part colour which is the problem

interestingly, the description of the config.pro option to turn edges on

show_shaded_edges says they should be darker !

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back