Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Search_path & Search_path_file options

ptalk

Can someone explain the differences between these two options (maybe give an example). Are they the same thing? The reason why I asked is that I need to setup a path to a UDF directory. I already added the UDF path to the group option in the config file, but when I create an UDF it keep saving it to my default working directory.

search_path is a single line item in the config.pro file that points to a dircectory where Pro/ENGINEER files can be found. You can use search_path as many times as you need in a config.pro file. search_path_file is an independent file of search_path locations. It is a method of cleaning up the config.pro file when you have literally hundreds of search paths.

Use pro_group_dir to point to your library of UDFs. I'm not sure if it will save to the UDF directory, but it will look into the UDF directory by default.

Good luck.

My company uses SolidWorks 2003 and SW doesn't use search-paths.

SW remembers the directory where it gets stuff from without this - sounds simple ??

Only prob is people rename directories and files and redesignate drives arbitrarily and we are in file management hell.

At least search-paths force users to understand and appreciate this stuff..

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back