Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Search path order

MichaelB

Hello,

I have difficulties understanding why Pro/E doesn't search the path in the "as set" order from my config.pro.
For example I am trying to load the latest revision of file that has a Revision A, but pro/e still loads the file from Revision - .
My working directory is In Revision B folder and I have a local config.pro where I have the following search paths:
! ============================================
! ** Search paths
! ============================================
search_path_file L:\Mech_Drawing_Database\ProE_DataBase\start_part\search.pro
search_path L:\Mech_Drawing_Database\ProE_DataBase\Products\Pneumatic_pa rts
search_path L:\Mech_Drawing_Database\ProE_DataBase\Products\Fasteners
search_path L:\Mech_Drawing_Database\ProE_DataBase\Products\ModularFXRai l\Released\RevA
search_path L:\Mech_Drawing_Database\ProE_DataBase\Products\ModularFXRai l\Released

When I load the top assembly from the working directory Pro/E still loads the revision A files from the "Released" folder instead of the RevA folder.

The revised files have the same name as the Revision - files. So its critical that pro/e loads the files from the right folders.

Any idea?

Thank you,

I thought it was the order in the file. What is the contents of your search/pro file?

The only other though is that the problem is because 'RevA' is a sub folder of 'Released'. Try movingthe 'RevA' folder soemwhere else and see if that changes is.

You should also verify 100% that it's actually doing what you think. Are you sure there aren't duplicate files in other folders before and it's actually pulling from there instead?

In search.pro I have only the paths for the Pro/E library.

I did change the folder RevA and RevB from previous sub folder position and revised the search path to:

search_path_file L:\Mech_Drawing_Database\ProE_DataBase\start_part\search.pro
search_path L:\Mech_Drawing_Database\ProE_DataBase\Products\Pneumatic_pa rts
search_path L:\Mech_Drawing_Database\ProE_DataBase\Products\Fasteners
search_path L:\Mech_Drawing_Database\ProE_DataBase\Products\ModularFXRai l\RevA
search_path L:\Mech_Drawing_Database\ProE_DataBase\Products\ModularFXRai l\Released

Still the same results: is loading from the Release folder instead of the RevA folder.
As i mentioned may part numbers have the same file name. I want to manage loading them through the search path from my local config.pro from my RevB folder.

Where is the assy that you are opening located? By default, I think that Pro|E will look in the folder the parent assy came from before the search paths. Going by memory, I think this is the search order:
  1. In Session
  2. Parent assy folder
  3. Working Directory
  4. Search Paths
There are also some Windchill / Intralink places in that list, I'm not sure what or where. I could be wrong, you should verify that with PTC.

Edited by: dgs

I don't use Windchill /Intralink...
The top assembly that I open is in the working directory
search_path L:\Mech_Drawing_Database\ProE_DataBase\Products\ModularFXRai l\RevB

I missed that from your first post.

I'm stumped. It sounds like it's not working right. If you are under maintenance, I'd open a call with PTC.

Michael,
are you sure there are no configs loaded from other places ?
New search paths will be appended, existing paths will not be erased !! There may be an old one somewhere.
Did you verify that your part has been loaded from the \Released folder ?

MichaelB said:
It works if I point to that config.pro at the start of loading pro/e .

Aha, I missed this from your first post (emphasis added):

MichaelB said:
My working directory is In Revision B folder and I have a local config.pro where I have the following search paths:

The config in your local working directory wont' get loaded automatically at startup or simply by chagning to that workign directory. If your config.pro is not in the loadpoint/text folder, the user's home directory or the startup directory, it won't be loaded and you have to load it yourself.

Could that be your issue?

If I want to load the same config.pro when I have Pro/E open from Tools\Options the files don't load properly again.
I still don't understand why...

I'm not sure what you're saying. Pro|E is very consistent and repeatable. As long as the files are in the right place and named config.pro, they will load at startup. They need to be in one of the three places I listed above to auto load at startup. Otherwise, you have to do it manually from the tools menu.

dgs said:
The config in your local working directory wont' get loaded automatically at startup or simply by chagning to that workign directory. If your config.pro is not in the loadpoint/text folder, the user's home directory or the startup directory, it won't be loaded and you have to load it yourself.

This is what I was trying to say if the config.pro that I want to use is in the loadpoint/text

moz-screenshot.png

pro/e loads the files in the order I want.
But, if I open Pro/E W3 and if I want to load myself the same config.pro in my working directory from Tools\Options\...\4Ddevelopment\released\Afterjune\RevE\conf ig.pro

the files loading order is nor anymore respected.

We have also seen the same problems. It cause real problems when the incorrect prints hit the shop floor because some computers open different revs. All search paths are the same.

Some config.pro options do not take effect immediately when changed on the fly. It's possible that the same is true when a new file is loaded into an existing session and that 'search_path' is one of those options. I don't know, but that seems like a logical explanation.

I think this is one of those problems that needs someone hands on to sort out. Maybe a call to PTC, if you are on maintenance, will help.

Unfortunately, my maintenance plan has just expired this year. Looks like I am not the only one that has similar issues.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back