Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Round features

prohammy

I wish,I wish,I wish,I wish.......

That when you delete a feature from a part that has edges that are filleted (rounds) that ProE would just delete those edges out of the round feature and NOT go into failure mode

Kev

it was possible it 2001 with option Intent Chain. With Pro\E was samrt enough to figure out what is going on.

In addition if You delete entity in sketcher which is referenced by round You can still use Replace option in Sketcher mode, just to let Pro\e not lost needed ref for round

In many cases Susppend otpion can handle rounds when You delete or suppress some important feats

but in general I admit - it should much more smarter than it is now.

I would love to have a situation that Pro\E will not go to Resolve mode, but only highlight in model(in yellow surf for example) all rounds that lost refs with their state before crash. It would be much more easier to solve them than figure out once again - what the hell ref it was?

Try that in Inventor and you'll find your feature deleted immedeately, and also all children. No warning, no resolve mode just pure panic. Can understand why they developed a strong undo function....
and why it isnt needed in pro/e
smiley2.gif

I would love to have a time to cross all intersted for me software and make with it a model common for all of them to compare advantages and disadvantages.

Till that I can not say what is better, I olny can prepare Pro\e`s list of bad a good things. the bad are easier because human being is much more focusing on this side o life and it is always easier to count disadvatages than say what goes right

the best thing would be to take a job in firm wit hdifferent software. Gather the experience and choose the right CAD APplication. However with this approach one can lose the level it achieve in Pro\E, becAUSE DAY BY DAY ENVELOPE IS PUSHED HIGHER AND HIGHER.

I've educated myself on as many CAD packages as possible by requesting or downloading 30day trial editions or in the case of solid works personal editions or student editions and then using them to make parts I have made on other systems to learn and do comparisons. This currently is not possible for UG which only makes a college edition I hear one may be in the works. I'll edit this post later to try to add links for the trial editions for different packages. PTC has been hounding my mailbox with Trial editions for WF3 for a while but I haven't taken advantage of this yet.

Catia prompts you to ask if you want children features to be deleted when the parent feature is or just suspended Pro/E does have this with that little box that pops up listing child features. However if you are pro active and remove the references from the round before deleting the feature you don't have to play cat and mouse with the Resolve Feature UI which is both scary and annoying.

I'd like to see an option that shows you the references that you need to resolve all at once similar to the Paste Special option which shows you what is missing and you pick a new reference. This dialog could also be improved to allow you to remove references that aren't needed for the paste feature. With a dialog window that allows you to change or remove references from all the features that will fail, all at once and grouped by feature and set such as for rounds, instead of individually redefining a bunch of features would be ideal.

Wildfire Tryout
http://www.ptc.com/offers/tryout.htm

Solid Edge Trial http://www.ugs.com/products/velocity/solidedge/free_trial/in dex.shtml

SolidWorks 3D Skills Program
<strong style="font-weight: normal;">Go to a workshop at reseller and get free 90 personal edition with renewable license
http://www.solidworks.com/pages/news/3DSkillsFAQs2.html
http://www.solidworks.com/pages/news/ResellerSeminars.html

Michael

[/b]
Edited by: mjcole_ptc

More rounds and drafts I create the less I know which was where and which made what. I agree with You mjcole that is more clever to play with rounds first and then delete its references.

However life is not awlays so sweet. It happens that round ref missing is the form domino effect of relationship in your model. You can delete feature that should have nothing to do with your round but.... yeah I saw this many times. Rounds seem to have hidden refs. For example You create surfs, merge them, make a thicken and then on such a solid You create rounds. There is no info in rounds Parent\Child relationship that it use edge which comes from merge before thicken. You will find it out when You suppress such a feature. And then - Resolve mode.

For me it would be enough if Pro\e could display last state(look) of such a rounds, to know exactly where they were.

muadib3d said:
For me it would be enough if Pro\e could display last state(look) of such a rounds, to know exactly where they were.

In resolve mode use "investigate- back-up model". Then you can see how it was if you have a saved version before the crash. I find it very useful when mocking around with rounds that have lost its refs.

hello ankar

I`ve already knew about, but honestly I use it merely. First it is enough tool for simple models(I mean with less feature count). Second, You should have at least one save made before. It is not a big problem but sometimes You got a model, open it, make a regenerate or redefine a feature and model crashes. Rounds lose their refs and Investigate> Backup won`t do a thing. But it is very special situation in fact.

When it comes to closer look it appears that Pro\E already is equiped with all desired tools. But in fact - if it is true - they are not efficient enough. To many "clicks and picks".

I know that Pro\e can not show mising ref for rounds because in such a momnet they do not exist. However if it would be possible to show last placement and look of crashed feature it would be enough for user to fix that. Without a need to use a Backup option.

With the new selection tools you can pick all of the faces around a feature (extrusion) to draftor all of the edges parallel to the extrusion and round the object. If you remove some part of the cross section/sketch then the "all edges" or "all faces" still works without failure.

Right mouse on one of the edges or faces until the edges/faces around the perimeter are selected.

I spent some time thinking about this topic, specialy about mjcole thread. Well it is not easy to find time for such entertiment(time to thinking) with to kids and lot of job in ground around the home, but... I start to ask myself is it worth to learn and try all of other CAD applications? With knowledge of Pro\E I can gather the basics of each of them with one day, I am sure of that - am I wrong? How ever I won`t reach fast the point I am know with Pro\E. And I won`t do that till I focus all my attention and time in such application. So it means I would have to skip learning Pro\e.

So let`s say this once again - is it worth? Is here anyone who collect big experience with more than one CAD application?

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back