Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Reverse Engineering with "Restyle" - How do YOU do it?

Nose Bleed

I have the capability of obtaining internal and external surface points (for example multiple layers or an inner and outer surface). I have a specific way of specifying thickness in each direction (x and y dimensioning) - How do you guys do it?

I'm hoping to find a quicker/more efficient way than I do, which consists of specifying depth and direction of each layer.

Sorry - I had a blonde moment - disregard.

i was trying to join two seperate point clouds and fill the gap between the two point clouds.

What I've got is one point cloud of the external surface features of a pressure vessel (tank) that contains nicks, dents, and other surface irregularities. The other point cloud is the inner surface of the pressure vessel with it's surface irregularities.

I was trying to specify a wall thickness to fill in the gap between these two surfaces, but maintain the surface features.

create a surface from each point cloud.

use the external surface to create a solid.

use the internal surface to cut the center out (cut>use quilt).

Is that what you mean?

Mike

If you do not have two scans which intersect each other, you have to do it manually.

If you have Restyle functions, you can make datum curve through pointclouds or even surfaces.

Make also some datum geometry to assemble two point clouds. This should not be very difficult with your kind of geometry.

Miked - That's actually kinda how I'm doing it now - except I'm creating a solid extrusion from both surfaces, towards eachother - allowing them to coincide.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back