Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

relations-multiple dims = 1 dim

krow72

Hello all,

Can someone tell me how to write a relation to make multiple dimensions equal one dimension without typing each one Dxx=Dxx. I have a pipe feature with 17 points creating it. I want a relation that will make the "Z" dimension of other 16 points to match the first point without making 16 seperate relations. Is this possible?

So I guess that no one has run into this before or there is no way of doing it. I really hate working on other peoples models!!!

Not that I'm aware of. How are your points created? Can
they all be tied to the same datum plane in the Z
direction?

They were created off coordinate system with x,y and z dims. They were created one at a time (somethingI would not have done). I do not know much about relational program commandsand thought someone would know how to make multiple dims equal to one dim with a single command inside relations.

If they are made at the same time they can be edited in a table. Then you can cut & paste or export the table, edit in excel and re-import. Single points have to be edited one at a time or use relations like you said. I don't know any other way.

Thanks for the reply. I guess that I am out of luck. I figured there should be a way. This could be useful if you wanted to hold wall thickness on a part and you could make dimensions of different features all match the first feature so when you changed the first they would all update. It would be nice to have something like this in the relations that would work: d12,d45,d58,d102 = d1.

dross - nice try. I have tried brackets, parenthesis, commas, colons, semi-colons, etc... and nothing I try works. I quess you can't lump dimensions in any way with relations.
smiley5.gif
smiley18.gif
smiley7.gif

I have looked thru the help files but did not find anything about grouping. Where did you find your example in the help file? It did not work by the way.

would like to find a master sheet with all the variables for relations if anyone knows if there is one.

Thanks dross, I will keep looking.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back