Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Reference Parts in BOM - Not Assembly

juttcann

I am trying to figure out if there is a way to reference parts in a BOM but not have them in an assembly. I have parts that are called out in a schematic and are not seen in the assembly but still need a BOM balloon. I knowin other MCAD software (Inventor) you can create "virtual components" that are referenced in the BOM but are phantom in the assembly. Can Pro-E do this as well?

Hi juttcann,

AFAIK this is not possible.

As workaround insert a component in the assembly using Insert > Component > Include.
Then the geometry of the component should be invisible, but also show up in the BOM.

Regards, DonChunior

are you able to place balloons on included parts? I have tried as you said and cannot figure out how to now place balloons.

You can do this a couple ways. You cannot do it with an included part as this only includes the part information. No part geometry to attach a baloon. However, the quantity in the BOM will represent the included items.

You can add the part as a packaged component and hide the component in the assembly model. This will allow you to show the part in the drawing and attach a baloon to it.

You can also do it as a simplified rep. Turning off the appropriate components in a rep used in assemblies, then have a rep used in drawings with the additional parts. Just make sure the repeat region is for the desired rep.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back