Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Reference geometry

DanD

What isthe best way to bring reference geometry (parts or assemblies) in an assembly? I know copy geom but with that you have to pick each individual surface- it doesn't like solids- I'd like to be able to pick full parts or assmblies at once.

What I need it for: on an installation drawing I need to show the components but also with dotted line some reference geometry to show where the components should go. And all this without the reference geometry being counted in BOM. I do not particulary care about the ref geom being "linked" or "updatable"- it could be just a "dead" feature.

Thanks, Dan

if you want to use copy geometry of parts you can pick a surface in part then RMB and select solid geometry..in case of assembly you can use shrinkwrap

Dan,

One way to produce your installation drawing by using drawing.

Step1. Place the desired view in the drawing.

step2. Create sketch entities in drawing mode by use edge.

Step3. Select those entities and then you can perform transformation operations of move, rotate etc.

Hope this helps.

I used this techniques to show the open and close position of various types of clamps in Checking fixtures and Welding jigs.

You can pick all the surfaces within the copy geometry(of the same part) at once. Just select a surface of the part, then (in WF3) rmb and select "solid sufaces" in the top portion of the pop-up menu. A little different in WF2 but the same end result. But for assemblies, your best bet would be create a simplified rep with that other assembly in it. You can then set that "component" (part or assembly) in your installation drawing to be phantom displayed.

I agree with straupma, you can use simplified reps and you don't have to remember to relate the geometry to the drawing view, just incase you plan on moving the views around.

Plus you don't have to delete the geometry, just incase youmodify the model gemetry.

Plus you can use family tables & simplified reps for open/closed illustrations.
Edited by: tosh382

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back