Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Reducing the assembly File Size

raghu_reddy2

Hi All,

I have a Big engine assembly of 400MB, which consists of many subassemblies.

i want to recude the file size.iam using PROE_FoundationAdv wf3.0.For me in this license shrinkwrap is the only command gettign highligted.Can you please let me know how to reduce the file size.

Is Srinkwrap the only way?

Customer wants the model to calculate the distances.

Thanks in Advance.

Raghu.

raghu_reddy:

you can try saving the asm file as stp files, for stp file only contains the results of your model ,while the asm and prt files contain all the creatingprocess (features) of yourmodel.

the data size will greatly reduce depending on the complexity of your model.

Or you could do a combo, first you do a shrinkwrap,then save the shrinkwrap as step..

//Tobias

it seems, yor customer do not requre every details of the assmebly. he will be happy to see just the outside structure and critical walls/ends to measure dimensions.

in this case remove all the subassembles and part that are not visible from outside. remove all the parts that are not important. remove all the hardwares (nuts, washers and bolts. and then finally make a step file out of it, you will notice a derastic reduction in file size.

bottom line: just give him the features/parts he want for mesurement,

Thanks for the replies Tobias and Sanjeev,

But there are 12000 surfaces in the assembly even after not considering the inner subassemblies.Selting all the 12000 surfaces for doing Shrinkwrap is a painstaking job.

Is there any other go?

Please do let me know.

As prompted before - no inner components are required so pick and mark the option Holes Auto Filling

by default Pro/E should self "glue" all holes visible from outside and ignore all inner surfaces. "Should" does not mean it will - i.e geometric threads will provide a "leakage"

So usually in such cases I tried to create first Simp rep which exludes all inner componets. Then, it is wise to suppress all Rounds with radius less than 2, 1 mm in all componets left in assembly(major of Shrinkwrap failures are caused because of small rounds which intersect surfaces from another componets). In addition You yourself fill all holes in outer componets!

The very first check of Shrinkwarp(Merged Solid) is lack of inner geometry. This You can proof just after opening the model by selecting Datum plane Edit > Solidify > Cut

Still, lots of Shrinkwrap failures come from Intersection between Components which in the end should be hunted down by Global Intersection and then narrowed to Volume Intersection

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back