Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Read data into drawing table?

jeff4136

Every now and then I sorta wish I could read an external csv, spreadsheet, etc. into a drawing table. Is this a practical idea using Pro/Program or JLink? I know nothing about either but this might be a good reason to dig in and try to learn something about it.

You can insert OLE objects (spreadsheets, etc) into drawings now. The only downside is that they only plot if you use the windows print manager. This is corrected in WF3.

Thank you, gentlemen.

I'm currently embedding spreadsheets as OLE objects.

I've let my maint contract lapse and can't access the
KB file. I'll book mark for access when I can get it all squared away.

Thank.

This is reallyanExcel tip more than anything:

In the existing MS Excel spreadsheet, add the following columns:

1. <LI>Add a column to the left of the existing columns, and enter @[ preceded by a single quote.
    </LI>
    <LI>Between each column of text, enter @]@[ preceded by a single quote.
    </LI>
    <LI>Add an extra column to the right of the existing columns, and enter @] preceded by a single quote.
    </LI>
    <LI>Save the file as a space delimited (*.prn) file, and then modify the file name to have a (*.txt) extension. This pads the cells with enought spaces to make everything line up correctly.
    </LI>
    <LI>Import the resulting text file as a note in Pro/E</LI>

-Brian

OK! That makes sense. Doesn't give me a "table" per se, but think it'll be preferable to OLE objects for some apps. Thanks a million, Brian.

Has anyone had trouble with the OLE objects not successfully imbedding into Pro-E drawings? I get just the icon visible and the filename underneath. PTC deflected this problem by saying that the problem was with the MicroSoft functionality. This appeared to be correct, because the same technique when used with Word produced the same result. I am at an impasse. Our IIS people who maintain our workstation hardware and software are at a loss as how to help. Help please !! I have a drawing in which I need to imbed a .bmp and I am dead in the water. Thanks for your help........

MS has stated that OLE is no longer supported with Office 2003. MS used Photo Editor as an OLE server for images prior to Office 2003. The easiest thing to do is install Photo Editor from an Office XP or Office 2000 CD.

See more here and here

dr_gallup, thanks for the reply. Followed your suggestion but had no luck. The functionality to 'insert object' even in a MS-Word document does not work. I get the icon with the file name, but it does not display the image. Any ideas ? I did some research and some other references suggested this same solution. My problem did not resolve, and I still need some ideas..... Can anyone shed light on this quagmire?

Iavoid the combination of Pro/E and OLE like the plague... Unless you're using Windows AND you've got OLE set up properly (not easy now that MS has botched it up), you can't see the embedded objects.

We still share drawings with vendors and other parts of our company that have UNIX versions of Pro/E, so OLE is useless to them.Even if the drawing looks great on your computer... you've got to make sure that everyone else who needs to open that drawing also has the proper Windows and OLE environment.

I've already got my'eggs' in the PTC 'basket'... making that basket dependent on Microsoft increases the risk in my opinion.

-Brian

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back