Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Quadro card on M90 replacement

SW

I'm looking to buy a new laptop and was looking at the Dell M6300 but noticed the graphics card seems slower than the one on the M90 the M6300 is replacing.

My man at Dell tells me the M6300 is quicker, but looking at the specs on Nvidea's site, the M90's Quadro FX3500M is a 256 bit card with 38.4GB/sec memory bandwith compared to the 128 bit card with 25.6GB/sec memory bandwith on the Quadro FX 1600M in the M6300. Is the 1600M actually quicker, or is it just that Dell makes up for the loss with the rest of the manchine?

I've also just read about the HP Compaq 8710w which is based on the Santa Rosa platform. This looks like the best of the bunch at the moment, but this has also got hte Quadro 1600M card. Anyone got any thoughts?

Sam

To make M6300 "quick", Dell cut the corners - Quadro FX3500M required more power, what mean more heat, more heat - less speed

So is the new Dell machine actually slower than their previous model?

I can't find any benchmarks for the new Dell M6300, but MCAD magazine have just reviewd the HP 8710w and say "If you

It looks like I've got things a bit confused, according to this review, the Dell m6300 is also a Santa Rosa machine.

Despite what the MCADonline review says, and this US specifications sheet., I've just spoken to a chap at HP and he says the 8710w is only available with the T7500 processor. The HP man says this is not available in the UK, but might be in the next 3-6 months. Isn't that a long time in computer terms? Especially when Dell are offering the faster processors immediately.

There are a few comments about the Dell m6300 here, a review of the HP 8710w here. The reviewer suggests the 8710w is a better machine on this forum post.

Sam

Edited by: SW

I looked at the 8710W and it priced out over 1k higher than a similarly configured M6300. I ordered the M6300 and have an estimated delivery of 11/28. I followed a few threads in the forum you posted and it seems that many have issues with the styling and weight of the M6300 but I haven't seen any real world tests that show the 8710 is any better than the M6300. I'm more concerned with performance and durability than I am with styling. The laptop will find itself in some very harsh field conditions.

Specapc benchmark for pro/e has been done though and results can be found here

http://www.spec.org/gwpg/apc.data/specapc_proewildfire2_summ ary.html

I'll follow when my 6300 arrives.

Don't just look at the bandwidth numbers. Go to the Nvidia site and look at the Proe-3 specperf scores. These new cards have lower bandwidth but high display rates. We got caught by the same numbers for the 390 (3450) vs the 4300 (1700). The 4300 with the 1700 card is faster than the 390.
Edited by: looslib

I don't think the M6300 is meant to be a replacementto the Dell M90. The graphics card in it isa mid rangeQuadro. (128-bit interface versus 256-bit for 3500M that's in the M90).I think Dell will be replacing the M90 model soon and I'm sure it will havea video card as good or better than the 3500M. They just upgraded their XPS line of laptops and I assume the Precision laptop will be next. I can't imagine the M6300 performance willbe in the same league as the M90 - but someone will have to test it out.

Edited by: bruppert

bruppert said:
I don't think the M6300 is meant to be a replacementto the Dell M90. The graphics card in it isa very low end Quadro. (64-bit interface versus 256-bit for 3500M that's in the M90).I think Dell will be replacing the M90 model soon and I'm sure it will havea video card as good or better than the 3500M. They just upgraded their XPS line of laptops and I assume the Precision laptop will be next. The M6300 performance will not be in the same league as the M90.

Before making this kind statment, You should know, what are You talking about, not just confused people with limited knowledge

looslib said:
Don't just look at the bandwidth numbers. Go to the Nvidia site and look at the Proe-3 specperf scores. These new cards have lower bandwidth but high display rates. We got caught by the same numbers for the 390 (3450) vs the 4300 (1700). The 4300 with the 1700 card is faster than the 390.

I can't find the bandwidth numbers you speak of on Nvidia's site. Do you mind posting a link?

Thanks

Does anyone know of any benchmark with both the Dell M6300 and the HP 8710w listed?

A correction - It appears the M6300 is meant to be the M90 replacement. However they don't have the same highend graphics available for it yet. The 1600M is an upgrade to the Quadro FX 1500M. There should be a 2600M/3600M available which would make the M6300 the highend machine again that the M90 is.

Sorry for the confusion JerryTi.
Edited by: bruppert

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back