Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Projection of Sketch Issue

coldAC

Hi everyone,

So a better question this time than my last oversight...
smiley2.gif

I have what is a essentially a trapezoidal solid with 5 right angle faces and one face angled at 15 degrees. Having contoured the piece off the right angle faces, I now wish to create "channels" in the solid (for nuts for assembly) that are parallel to the 15 degree face. I am trying to sketch my channels in a reference plane 0.35 inches offset inside the solid parallel to the 15 degree face. My problem is that I cannot properly create a sketch of the solid's contour in the reference plane.

If I use convert entities on the 15 degree face, when I attempt to move these entities to the reference plane, the sketch projects normal to the 15 degree face instead of along the faces of the solid that are normal to the major axes. With this method, I have no reference points in the plane from the solid to align the sketch to either, so I can not just move the shifted sketch.

I do not know of a way, or even the existence of possibility, to create a sketch from a section view when sectioning at the reference plane.

If I attempt to contour from the opposite face (not offset at 15)through convert entities and use project curves to project onto the reference, I can not get it to project as I neither have a usable sketch nor face.

Currently, I just did the old fashioned way with freehand sketching, and lots of copy entities, but it would be a pain to make an adjustments to and it's not as fine

Thanks in advance. Newbitry of a student with Solidworks.

I think is better to post a pic. Yor explications are confused for me.

Anyway... try 2 sketches: One in a plane where you can dimension the items and another in the plane where you wish the feature. Then, link the second sketch with the first using sketch relations between points (vertical, orizontal...) or between lines (coliniar, paralel...). Then use the second sketch for your feture.

Hope this help you.

Good luck !

if I am reading you correctly what you need is an Intersection Curve on your offset plane. Open a sketch on the plane, select the Intersection Curve tool and click on each of the faces that pass through the sketch plane. This will give you the section of the solid at that plane.

Hope this helps.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back