Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

problem positioning part

wadero

I use SW 2010
I have a drawing of a part in which I insert another part.The ame is to position this part so In the "property manager" (Locat part) I translate the part, OK.
After that I want to rotate the part and then the translation gets undone. The same happens when I work other way round, so first rotating and then translating.
It seems impossible to do both.
Anybody an idea what I do wrong?

I find it difficult to believe that one can only do one of both, eigther translate or rotate, seems pretty basic for a program like sw. I'm new in sw , come from acad and the main difference between the two is that simple things are easy in acad and very difficult in sw, sw though keeps going when the going gets tough and acad stops all together.

Yeah that is pretty Lame but you should check out the Constraints Option which is at the bottom of the (Translate OR Rotate) Property Manager for Copy-Move. This option allows you to specify Rotation and Translations as you would using mates for Parts in an assembly. The funny thing about the Translate or Copy+translate option is that if you specify a distance like 5in there is no parameter added to the feature and it's not parametric.means a lot of typing or dragging if you want to change positions

Michael

wadero,

This post is in the modeling forum, yet your questions states you are trying to insert a part into a drawing. Which is it? Are you trying to rotate/translate goemetry in a 2D drawing or in a 3D model?

We want to help, but you need to give us more information. Even better,upload a screeenshot!

Jim

http://www.linkedin.com/in/shawengineering

Sorry, I have a part (fuselage of airplane) in which I insert the tailplane(that's another part) . Ofcourse it inserts somewhere and it should be exactly somewhere else, so I have to rotate AND translate and it looks like I can only rotate OR translate.
No drawings yet as this word is interpreted in sw.

wadero,

You'll just have to perform multiple "moves". Rotate the part, then hit [OK]. Translate the part, then hit [OK]. Repeat as necessary.

Jim

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back