Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

pro_dtl_setup_dir

mkzler

I created a form that references a new .dtl file to control some of my options. I saved the form and created some new drawings and everything worked great.

Then after I had closed and reopened Pro/e I tried to create some new drawings. Now the correct .dtl file is not referenced. It is still referencing the default .dtl file. I opend the form and the .dtl file options (drawing_setup_file and pro_dtl_setup_dir) have reverted to the default values. How do I keep these options set for this format?
< id="gwProxy" ="">< ="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" =""><div id="ref"></div>

Where are you storing the 'pro_dtl_setup_dir' and 'rawing_setup_file'
config options? It could be that your config.pro file isn't in a
location where Pro|E will automatically read it at start up.

Also, drawings and templates have drawign setup information attached to them, but formats do not. When creating a new drawing using a format, Pro|E will use whatever dtl file is specified with the 'drawing_setup_file' option. Use the full path to the file you want. If no file is specified, Pro|E will use the default options.

The 'pro_dtl_setup_dir' config option points to the folder with your dtl files in it.

I have saved the new .dtl file in my text folder, and the new form in the formats folder. I changed the 'drawing_setup'' and pro_dtl_setup dir' options to reference this new location, but this information gets lost somewhere.

Maybe it's that I have not saved the config.pro from the form. I thought the options would would remain attached to this format. If I do this will my default settings be overwritten? I don't want this .dtl file referenced for every new drawing...just the drawings were I use this format.<div id="ref"></div>< id="gwProxy" ="">< ="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" =""><div id="ref"></div>
Edited by: mkzler

I'm not sure you understand what these files do. Or, I'm not understanding what you're saying.

The config.pro file is a settings file for Pro|E. The options listed here control how Pro|E itself works. You chould save it in the Pro|E <load point>/text folder, your 'home' directory or in the folder specified in the 'srart in' filed for the pro|E short cut so it will load automatically when Pro|E is launched.

Drawing setup files, or dtl files, are text files that control display options for drawings. You can specify a default dtl file by using the config.pro option 'drawing_setup_file' and pointing to the actual file. If you have more than one (one for metric, one for English, one for dual dims, etc) you can put them all in the same folder and use the config.pro option 'pro_dtl_setup_dir' to specify that folder.

When a drawing or drawing template is created, a dtl file is attached to it. Once atached, teh dtl info is embedded in the drawing or drawing template. Changes to teh dtl file on disk will not change the drawing or drawing template unless the dtl file is reapplied to it.

A drawing format is essentially your title block. It does not have dtl information attached to it, nor can it. New drawign created with this format will use the dtl settings from the file specified in the config.pro file using the 'drawing_setup_file' option.

----------------------------------------

So, if you want that dtl file only to be used by a certain format and a default dtl file to be used at other times, you are either going to have to create a template with that format in it and attach the special dtl file to the template or manually set it each time you use the format.

There's no way to automatically set a dtl file to a format.

Ok...I think that got it.

Admittedly, I'm not very experienced when it comes to drawing mode. I have been learning a lot in the last couple days. I am just starting to understand the differences between templates and forms, and how they are used. I created a template that uses my new form and everything is working the way I want to to now.

Thanks a lot!
< id="gwProxy" ="">< ="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" =""><div id="ref"></div>< id="gwProxy" ="">< ="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" =""><div id="ref"></div>
Edited by: mkzler

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back