Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Pro/INTRALINK 3.3 debuts.

bhayden

Or so was the subject line of the email from PTC. When you open the link you find out it's still a month out.

http://www.ptc.com/appserver/mkt/mail/linkto.jsp?u=154425&t=2324

It sounds like v3.3 will NOT be compatible with 2001. I emailed PTC on this matter and got no response.

Likewise no response on the matter of what OS it will run on. Hopefully it will be available for Linux but that's doubtful. Too bad, that's one way PTC could distiguish their Professional Engineering tools from the competition.

Bernie Hayden

XKL LLC

I've checked PTC's download area as the article suggests. There is no link to download Intralink 3.3.

Also, PTC has Intralink 3.3 as a search option in their knowledge base, there currently there are no articles in it.

So, has anyone been able to download it? Is there any more information on it?

I haven't downloaded it yet (because it's not actually available to the user community), but I have seen it. We have a PTC consultant here at our plant this week and he and I are installing 3.2 and configuring it to our company standards. The PTC guy downloaded it for his own use and showed me, on his laptop, what it looks like. He hasen't seen it before yesterday either, so he's getting an eye full, too. It is compatible with 2001 and he said it loaded on his laptop without any problems. He did mention something about setting it so that it will open Wildfire instead of 2001.

Steve C

Good news that it will run with 2001. I wouldn't want to have to change everything at once. If you've still got the consultant there ask if there will be a Linux distribution.

Thanks,

-Bernie-

Bernie, I asked the consultant about a Linux distribution and he said he wasn't sure. He did say that there is a Linux page that talks about support somewhere in the PTC domain, but he didn't know where.

Just an update: I was able to get a released 3.3 for my company and I and the consultant succesfully installed it on Friday. So I'm up and running on 3.3 and will be doing some major training to get started in the right direction. I haven't seen much difference between it and 3.2 except for some of the icons, so I'm really not sure what the big delay was all about.

Steve C

=======

I haven't seen much difference between it and 3.2 except for some of the icons, so I'm really not sure what the big delay was all about.

=======

Are you running Ilink 3.3 with Pro/E 2001? From what I've read of the hype most of the new features are integrated with the WtF release. They talk a lot about improvements in family tables and being able to do a lot of the things directly in Pro/E that you used to have to switch to Ilink to perform. There was also a big comotion about some sort of simpl. rep. in Ilink that I guess you have to use to really understand.

Have they fixed any of the stupid little things like having to enter all the file names in lower case?

-Bernie-

I'll be running it with Wildfire, which is where the interface is different. You can navigate to and from folder locations including your workspaces right in the WF browser. I'm in the process (remember, I don't know Pro as of yet) of learning some of the set up parameters that I want to include in the start parts. I have been to training on Intralink 3.2, but have very little experience with Pro. So give me a little time to get adjusted and I'll report back with my findings. In the meantime, I don't have a problem with asking questions pertaining to Pro/E and Intralink, with my limited knowledge on the subjects, to this and other forums in Pro/E Central.

Steve C

Hey, after 2 weeks I finaly got a response from PTC to the satisfaction survey attached to the Ilink 3.3 email anouncement.

Linux is not currently supported for any build of Intralink. However, they are looking at porting to Linux with 3.3.

Initial the rep said that ProE 2001 was not supported. I mentioned that I knew of it being used with 2001 and he said he'd check and get back to me. A call back a few minutes later yielded the following info: Intralink 3.3 is supported for builds ol ProE 2003161 and later.

Looks like time to install a new build of ProE. Especially since I got a PTC knowledge base alert today that our current build is susceptible to file corruption if parts are retrieved by earlier builds.

Bernie Hayden

XKL LLC

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back