Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Pro/Engineer Release 1

I can't watch the video (blocked at work)
smiley19.gif
, but if it's really Pro/E R1 I'll have to try from home. I remember those days, did everything in wire frame because it took way too long to repaint a shaded image. Worked hard to make the fewest possible features and avoided regens as much as possible. The entire model regenerated back then, even if you just changed the last feature. And we were doing it all on 25 MHz processors very little RAM. Read a lot of magazines waiting on the system.

Well this was before they started putting the .0 after the name and these early Version Videos look a lot better than the Wildfire 1 release and I think Design-Engine would agree with me on that statement. My thoughts are maybe the Menu Manager will finally be sent packing I was amazed when we got the option to Disable Resolve mode in WF5.

wf5%20Regen%20MGR%20prefs%20failures.PNG

When I was working at PTC I remember launching Pro/E on my Alpha Unix DEC and when coming back from lunch Pro/E had just started running my trailfile. :)

I was using 2000i then but at BU was only on v18 prior to Intent Manager. I recently turned off
sketcher_intent_manager while on Wildfire 5 to remember how it was when I first learned Pro/E. The RMB toggle on off for constraints is better than having to Hold Shift and tap RMB we still have to tab between the offered constraints though.

Michael

Edited by: mjcole_ptc

At one job using V12 I think, I had to go to the training room to find a machine. I read two books that day, waiting for the clock (I maximized it).

I started using Pro/E with Release 17 on an SGI Indy. Pro/E seemed reasonably quickuntil I got into surfacing.

But other than replacing some of the text menus with icons on toolbars, it just hasn't changed much sincethose days13 years ago. The graphics are the same, the functions are little changed, it's user-friendliness is only slightly improvedand it's overall capabilities have not been expanded significantly. It's an antique Unix-based system trying to survive in a Windows-based world. All of it's competitors have left it in the dust,while it'saging userswax nostalgic about 'the good old days' as they wait out retirement. Yeah, I'm afraid I am one of those old duffers in some ways.

Mindripper, With all due respect, and I mean that genuinely, I have

no doubt as to your competence, the Pro/Engineer jibes in each of

your posts are getting a little tired. Yes, it has its faults, but so does

every other CAD system, and Pro/E has functions and features that

take some beating.

Healthy, factual and comparitive debate is all good, but many of your

comments sound like Daily Mail journalism (that will make sense in th

UK) and don't do you any favours.

Please can we keep things as objective as possible.

Sam
Edited by: SW

Ahh, yes, I remember when I first started using Pro/E back somewhere around v12 - 1994 / 95 I think. A group of about 5 of us were using it running on a single Sun box with each user working at a Tektronix X-terminal. I was psyched when I got to start running right on the Sun box after a graphics card upgrade that cost several thousand dollars - shaded mode! Of course now each of our PC based workstations probably has more drive space and RAM than all of the computers on the engineering network combined back in '94.

Erik

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back