Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Pro/E to Solidworks not as a dumb model

carrieives

We have a Pro/E assembly (WF3) that we need to have converted to Solidworks. We need it to not just be a dumb solid when it is done. Has anyone done this? Do you have any recommendations? I know there are companies out there that do this. If you have worked with any of them, I would be interested to hear what you thought.

Thanks,
Carrie

I would like to know of these companies that do it. I only way I know how to create a smart model in different cad software is to start from scratch and build it.

I know SolidWorks has FeatureWorks which converts dump solid to live solids so that you can edit them. FeatureWorks uses the technology Feature Recognition from Geometric. In case FeatureWorks is not sufficient, check out the Feature Recognition technology.

Unless the part is pretty basic, I have never found feature works to be any good. Once the geometry gets in any way complicated it uses any usefulness.

I'd remodel parts though I'd charge for it.

I have been mucking around with Solidworks 2008 and it does have significant capability at reading native Pro/E files (from v17 to WF3) and creating model trees with modifiable features.

However it is totally stumped by assembly instance accelerator files. It totally refuses to read them. Anyone have an idea what is wrong.

DB

It also can allegedly write ProE files in v20 format though I haven't tested this.

I had posted this to the PTC/User exploder too. Here is the summary of what I heard from there:

There are a few conversion services out there and then there are the
people that will re-model your parts for you. We had not gotten a reply
back from one of the services. I overlooked an email and did not
contact the other one that was mentioned because it came in too late.
This was a hurry up and get things done job so once I had gotten a
couple of answers I did not pursue more. I got quotes from a couple of
people that would remodel the parts for us. Management then decided
that they would try harder to convince the customer that Pro/E was the
way to go. So we aren't actually converting the models.

Solidworks
will sometimes open a Pro/E model with the features, or at least the
sketches, but I have not gotten consistent results from that.

Automated services:
Elysium http://www.elysiuminc.com/
- will do what I wanted (this is the one I overlooked), did not get
pricing. A couple of people had worked with them, not necessarily for
Solidworks translations.
CADverter - I think this is the one that we did not get replies to our queries from, but I can't find my notes on this.
Core Technologies - www.coretechnologies-inc.com - Mark Akers - did not see this one until after I'd started down another path

Companies that would re-model the parts for us:
C2R Product Development Group, Inc. - www.c2rpdg.com - Bruce Nemec
Appian Way Technologies LLC - www.appianwaytech.com - Chris Thompson
The Technology House - www.tth.com - Steve Pastor

Another translation house is Translation Technologies, we have used them in the past once or twice to get files from Pro/E to Catia V4. After the initial conversion we just relayed the changes to Catia guys to change the their models. That way we didn't have to buy UNIX boxes or train anyone in V4. Here is the website.

http://www.translationtech.com/
Edited by: audctrl

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back