Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

PDM Link vs ProductCenter

mech_e

We are a small (~100 person) R&D company looking to transition into low-rate production. We makehigh-end electro-optic systems. We areconsidering bothPDM Link (from PTC)and ProductCenter (from Softech) for our PDM needs. We have ~10 seats of pro/e but we are not an Intralnik user. Does anyone have an opinion on ProductCenter? Are there any other PDM solutions we should consider?

There is also Smarteam from Dassault/IBM. They claim to be compatible with Pro/E files. But you should be sure ofone thing, no PDM will ever be as compatible with Pro/E files as Windchill is.

Good luck

Mat

Storing/retreiving files is easy on any system. When you start moving
them around, messing with several projects that are related and
renaming files and assemblies things go south. If you use Proe and
bought FLex3c , I thought Intralink is included so use what is designed
for it. Any PDM is going to have quirks but using one not designed for
your files will take more work. Just my opinion... On that note a
simple and fairly low cost one is at gopdm.com

I used to work with IntraLink on my previous job. We are implementing ProductCenter and so far these are a few things I don't like:

- Everything must go to the "Desktop" on PC, while ILallows for as many "Workspaces" as needed. This is specially useful when you are working on 2 or more ECNs at the same time.

- PC requires more steps to retrieve and store files.

- IL allows you to retrieve all related parts and files easily, while PC requires you to "retrieve hierarchy" and manually decide what files you want to copy or check out... it makes a huge difference when you work with generic partscontaining a lot of instances.

- PC requires you to add a "Title" parameter to all pro/e files.

...and that's just some of my comments. I would reccomend that you get PDMLink if you can afford it, otherwise you may want to check some of the above mentioned PDM softwares.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back