Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Opening Doors

abdulhakim

Hi All,

I know this has been discussed before but my problem is slightly different.

I have an assembly with a door, on the drawing for that assembly i only need to show the door closed, easy enough.

However, i use the assembly as a sub assembly and in the drawing for the overall assembly i need to show the door in various positions, closed, part open and fully open.

The door has to be part of the sub assembly and the sub assembly is used in many assemblies so i do not want it to regenerate every time it is loaded.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

First thought would be to make the door flexible. Whether to do it in the main- or subassy I cant say without testing it, not using it that much.
If you control the opening with a parameter it should give you a sollution

Thanks for the quick reply.

It would have to be in the sub assembly but then how would it be controlled in the overall assembly without the need for regeneration or it affecting other assemblies using the same sub assembly.
Edited by: abdulhakim

Thank you for the suggestion.

"I would do this with family table instances."

I would do this as it would be the easiest. But my Creo parts are linked to WindChill parts and BOMs are derived from WindChill.

Can you have main part and family parts linked to same WindChill part?

Where i do use family tables for screws etc each family part has its own WindChill part.

If you have the mechanisms module, "Mechanism Design Extension"(MDX), you can create a simple pin joint at just one hinge locationand position the door at any angle you wish. You can create a "Snapshot" of any orientation and have any saved snapshot included in any drawing as well. This is the most effective way to go if you have this additional capability with theMDX tool.

Hi Kaz,

Can you do this in the top assembly if it is the sub assembly that has the door.

The top assembly is made up of the sub assembly and circuit boards assembled into the sub assembly which is why i want to show the door open.

I can take snap shots of the sub assembly with door open but these will not show the circuit boards.

Yes - you can drive a parameter from your top-level assembly that runs a simple "position" analysis in the sub-assem. The door will move to the value defined by the top-level parameter.<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />
Thinking about it a bit more, you could also just assemble things as you may do normally and use a parameter at the top-level to drive the position of the door from an "offset angle" assembly constraint that resides in your sub-assembly of the door. This is the easiest of all approaches. Make your snapshots from a number of parameter changes at the top-level.

Thanks Kaz

I have not tried this before but i will give it a go. If it works it will help in a lot of drawings as all our cabinet, kiosks etc exist as sub assemblies with doors closed.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back