Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Multiple parts or ?

keithf

Our company is making the switch to solidworks and I wondering what is the best practice in modeling the following part.

This is how we have the part (792356) used in ERP & AutoCad

The part would consist of (1) piece of 1" sq. sq tube cut 12" long with (2) threaded inserts pressed in.

Current we would issue a work order for the p/n 040047 cut down to 12" and (2) 240135 to be inserted. This combination would make up the final part 792356.

The norm I think would be to make a model for 040047 @ 12" long, make a model for 240135, and final create a make a assembly of all (3) pieces with a BOM.

Well, How do I create another part but with only changing the length of the tube? being I could have multi parts of various sizes in the main machine assembly.

I don't want to make separate models for each length. Is using a configured part the right answer?

What is the best way to do this up front verus changing it later?

Also how do you guys treat commodity parts? Usually a profile thats order by the foot? Knowing that multi lengths are sub components in which multiples exist in larger assemblys

Hy, keithf !

Complete the SW tutorials (you can do that in 2-3 days) and you can decide yourself what is the best way for you.

Me, if I have "n" parts in an assembly I design "n" parts WITHOUT dimenssions then I make the assembly.

At assembly level I "link" the sketches using sketch relations or equations and I put the dimenssions I need to drive ALL the parts. I avoid to use configurations at part level but I make as more configurations as I need at assembly level. This is MY way. I repeat: complete the SW tutorials and you can choose YOUR way.

Someone who speak english better than me can explain how to "link" the sketches at assembly level.

Hope this post provide some help for you.
Good luck !

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back