Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

modeling flexible tubing

rullan

In 2001, is there a way to model a tube that connects to tube fittings located on two or more different parts within anassembly?

I've tried tosketch datum points and create a "pipe" between the points, but I have to go in 3 dimensions and becomes extremely difficult.

Hi Rullan

I'm in WF2.

First I create a part in an assembly, default constrained. This part would be the pipe. Afteractivating the part, I create a pipe feature(Insert; Advanced: Pipe). Usually I only use 2 points, one on each fitting. Be sure to choose "spline" before adding the points. You'll see the pipe is now tangential to the fittings. If you "Redefine" the feature now, you can choose the start and end of the pipeto be normal to a surface.

To route this, add more points.

Thanks bkotze,

I seem to have luck with this when I insert a pipe to a single component, but not much luck when I try to insert a pipe from one component to another within an assembly. What I get is a dotted line and I'm not able to modify the outer / inner radius of the pipe.

Any suggestions?

Hi Rullan,

Try this,
Create an empty assembly, call it HOSE, ceate a empty part call it pipe, assemble the empty part into the empty assembly by coordinate system.

Assemble your empty hose assembly into your main assembly by coordinate system, make your empty hose assembly active, assemble the hose fittings into the assembly, then make the pipe part active.

Create datum points as required from one fitting to the next, create your pipe feature through the datum points, there you have it

Regards,
Max Weston

Hi Rullan

"I seem to have luck with this when I insert a pipe to a single component, but not much luck when I try to insert a pipe from one component to another within an assembly. What I get is a dotted line and I'm not able to modify the outer / inner radius of the pipe."

I've also been thru this. This happens when you use the pipe function in assembly mode. It then sits as a feature in the tree. I use it to show me which connectors are fitted to each other.

The pipefeature has to be created in a part in the assembly. The part gets activated and then you create the feature, therefor it is a part feature and not an assembly feature.

I've made up a small assy,I can mail it to you, should you want.

BK

I see what you mean about making the pipe a feature of a component in an assembly. That seems to work.

Thanks for your help.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back