Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Merging 2 Assembly in 1 folder

camilia

Hej
I have 2 assemblies A and B in 2 different folders A and B, I want now to assemble, Assembly B in A, as B is a sub assembly of A and making 1 assembly file. What I came to know is I have to move Assembly file B including all part files to folder A first and then I can add assembly B into A. But if there is some part file with same name in both assembly A and B, how to handle this situation?
Thanx for help, tack

It is not allowed...
one part number should be unique in any assembly...
because once you load some part in pro-E,,,u can not load different part with same number in same session..

I wonder, why u kept same number for different parts??

You can leave files A and B in their respective folders
and use the Search_path option in your config. If the part
has the same name and is in fact the same part it will use
the part from the working directory first, and use that
instance in the 2nd assembly as its already in session.

If the parts have the same name but are in fact different,
you'll have a failed assembly feature.

Camilia,
Pay attention to details and do this right or you'll be wishing you never read this and have plenty of rework to do. If you have never done this and depending on how complex your assembly is I would copy everything to a trial directory structure leaving everything in place. Try this at your own risk, but this works for me all the time we don't use PDM.

Open the assembly file to be moved.
Do not purge the work directory at this time, you need to keep all the versions if something goes wrong. Make sure that everything is in good order, no CRC files or regen issues. CRC files may stop pro from completing and intended regen DO NOT IGNORE THEM, fix them.
Make sure everything is in session that is a child and will cause a broken link later if you rename a file. (copy geom, publish geom, inheritance, other assemblies, anything) May not work properly any how, welcome to Pro-E.

When you rename a part do the following.
Open the drw for the part and any related drws. (this is critical to do now)
Go back to the part to rename, rename the file and regenerate
Regenerate the part drw
Regenerate any parts and asms referencing this renamed part.
Regenerate any other drws that have child relationships to the Part.
Inspect everything and make sure you're happy with the results.
If it goes wrong either try to fix it or close everything without saving, kick everything out of session and try again.
Save only if everything is good.
Repeat for each part to be renamed.

Once everything is renamed and in good working order do a file>save as> .zip
Purge the work directory at this time. (optional, means you can't go back to the last version for help in fixing something but will leave a clean directory to gram the latest drw)
Go to the directory and drag and drop in the drws into the zip.
Move the zip to the new directory and unzip the files to it.
Done.

Best of luck,
Chris

Well...I can explain more...
I have made an assembly A with part hub_casting ...and on some other date and project I made another assembly B using hub_casting...both assemblies are in different folders A and B. Now I need to add aeembly B into Assembly A (B is a sub assembly of A) and hub_casting in both assemblies.....
should I make a new copy of hub_casting as hub_casting_B and replace it in assembly B just to distinguish other wise it is same part by feature...but how I can replace a hub_casting by hub_casting_B in assembly B,
plz advice
regards

Camillia,

1)Save a copy of your config.pro in the "A" work directory having added the search_path option with the path to B. If you start Pro in the work dir of A it will be the last options read and when the assembly loads it will find B reliably.
2) open the B assembly and simply rename the conflicting part with the drws all open. (go to the asm, rt click the part and select open, then file>rename, type new name, regen each related file, check and clean up any changes needed. (like a manual table entry with the name)
3) Open the A assembly and insert in the B assembly

I would not not make a copy of file as if this is a casting it has tooling, make sure you use the file that is maintained when changes are made on project B. Add a table of where used on the drawing so others know to check project A when revising B. The quick fix is going to cause trouble, do not make a copy. Also do you have a naming convention, part number nomenclature and a part number log book set up yet? Do it now even if just for yourself. Get on the web and look up "documentation control". Get organized because if you're at a small disorganized company things are going to get out of hand quick and you will be the owner of the mess. If your in school this is all good practice if your going to be a design engineer.

Regards,
Chris

If the part hub_casting is same part(featurewise & dimensionwise) in both assemblies, no need to create another part.
As far as name is same as in original asm, it will automatically take link from folder.
You just need to collect all files in one folder.It will automatically take link of part hub_casting in both assemblies.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back