Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

measuring a curved length?

skiddy

i have sketched a datum curve, which represents a circle. Although i have the diameter i would like to work from the circumference.

I know the units of the circumference through the options of anylasis - measure - curve length. I then click on 'add feature' give it a name and it appears in the model tree. But then how can i use this option.............how can i see the measurement of the circumference on screen?

Modify the text of the diameter dimension to read

@0 length:fid_Feature Id

This will erase the diameter dimension and show the length parameter created in your datum analysis feature.

So here is another option:

Use the perimeter dimension.

Pro/ENGINEER Version 20 introduced a perimeter function. It may have fewer restrictions in later releases, but I believe it is created the same way in all releases up to Wildfire. See this TPI for details and instructions.

http://www.ptc.com/cs/tpi/35374.htm

In Wildfire, create your circular datum curve and dimension it with a radius or diameter dimension. Pick the curve to make it red. Then select Edit > Convert To > Perimeter. Select the radius dimension to finish the feature. Now you can drive the newly applied perimeter dimension and the radius value will update. Unfortunately removing the radius dimension removes the perimeter dimension too.

In Wildfire, create your circular datum curve and dimension it with a radius or diameter dimension. Pick the curve to make it red. Then select Edit > Convert To > Perimeter. Select the radius dimension to finish the feature. Now you can drive the newly applied perimeter dimension and the radius value will update. Unfortunately removing the radius dimension removes the perimeter dimension too.

hi u can use the same way to create dimensions in 2001 too

thanks

mahendran

Create an Evaluate Feature. Insert/Datum/Evaluate.

Enter the Evaluate Feature name: circ

Create: circ

You now have many measurement options. For your situation, Edge/Crv Len. Note: The Evaluate Feature only captures half the circle length. Create a Parameter called CIRC. Create a relationship that states:

CIRC=circ:fid_circ*2

Place &circ in a note on your drawing.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back