Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Mass Fixing Assembly Definitions

danialjackson

I have a HUGE Assembly at the moment and as a result of an odd assignment, my current task is to remove the large assemblies from the top assembly but to keep all the little things (nuts, bolts, washers) in their EXACT place so that they can be easily reassambled to the same assemblies in a different top assembly. (wow, that's confusing)

What I want to do is essentially apply a "Fixed" definition to all those small parts so that I can delete the assemblies without compromising the placement of the nuts and bolts. But it's a very long, tedious project. I was wondering if anybody had a reasonable workaround for the task at hand...

Have you tried freeze_failed_assy_comp yes in your config.pro? You may want to test it out first. Close Pro/E completely, add the above mentioned config and value to your config.pro file and restart Pro/E. Test it out on a sample assembly...try different variations of failure modes (in other words break the constraints to see it freeze)...you will find when the fasteners etc no longer find their placement contraints active then the components will freeze in their present location (thus allowing you to re-assemble afterwards).

How about using envelope manager to substitute a merged solid for the sub assembly and leave everything alone. In theory it should work. Once upon a time I was playing with this to try and speed up a large assembly I was designing. Never got it working to my satisfaction so didn't try and use it. freeze components could cause clean up later. You theoreticly can use a simp rep substituting the envelope and go back anf forth between the simple assembly and the full-up assy you started with. maybe some of the more experienced users can comment.

Chris

You can make a refresentation in view anager with only the fasteners showing.save as iges file.reopen iges file as part or assembly.if you use assembly you can modify the position of independent screws but they will have strange names

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back