Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Large assembly-how to reduce file size?

cjohn

Hi, We have a problem witha large assembly that will crash or take for ever to regen. Or will sometimes not open due to exceeding memory use. We are using wildfire 3.0 and all have 3 gigs of memory on computers.

The main large assembly has a few assemblies within it that are pretty large. What would be the best way to manage the main assembly to keep file size lower? make reps of the assemblies within it? shrinkwraps?

Thanks for any info.

What about surpressing some of the features... try resuming when the complete assy has loaded ?

Are you using vista ? If so then 4GB ram minimum, I have installed vista x64 bit today and its runs very nicely with 4GB, but I know an extra 4GB will go in soon
smiley2.gif

> manage the main assembly to keep file size lower

Simp Reps, Envelopes, Shrinkwraps.

They are all interrelated. Particulars will depend on whether, or not,
you have AAX (though it isn't a necessity (fact) it should enable greater
flexibility (hearsay, I don't have it)).

The nuances and downstream consequences are not always simple so you'd do
well to look up whatever KB Suggested Techniques, articles, tutorials,
training you can find or avail yourself to.

Do your homework. I doubt you've done a search on the subject as the topic
has been discussed once or twice and there are a few articles and freebies
floating around the net.

[url]http://www.mcadcentral.com/proe/forum/search.asp?KW=large+as sembly&SM=3&SI=PT&FM=0&OB=1 [/url]

Cheesewhiz,

I am interested in how to do this also. Also, can you explain how to make features read only? I read about this but could figure out how to do it. I have a lot of files I need to not actually regen as they are stock parts but I need one parameter in them to update.

Jim

there could be many reasons (relations, family tables, to large sub assemblies,...). I would recommend to start with simplified reps with nothing to show, and turn on all the items you wish to see. This will save you memory, avoid(identify) crashing.
Laszlo

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back