Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Just fill hole??

ilmegor

[file removed - proprietary]

Hi Guys,

Can you tell me (or better show me) how to fill (solid) the hole mantaining the continuity of the two surfaces (upper and lower) with no steps and dihedral angle=0.0 at the edges (In other words just make that hole disappear).

MANY THANKS!!!!
Edited by: administrator

There is an option available when copying quilts to fill holes. Might be what you want.

View attachment 1130

If you are starting with "static" surfaces (imported or Independant Geometry) you can also delete trim boundaries while in Independant Geometry edit mode.

jeff4136,

I'll have to look into this. I could use this option I was not aware of.

Thanks.

Jeff ,

Thanks for your reply, but it seems it does not work. I tried as you suggested( fill holes..)but two problems:

1- the surface that "covers" the hole is not tangent to the surfaces at the edges.

2- Also,I do not know how to make the hole a "solid".

My problem is not only to cover (tangent)the hole but also to make it solid!

Thanks!

hmmm...

1) There are no surfaces covering the holes. You've simply removed a trim boundary exposing a portion of the surface that was trimmed away when the holes were created. I'm not real crazy, now that I look more closely, at the way the new trim at surface intersection is created.

View attachment 1131

There are ways to correct that if objectionable, but it would be a little tedious and difficult to explain verbally. Basically, it would probably involve extending the edge of yet another copy and creating a new, clean trim curve.

2) A few ways to get it solidified. Knowing what you are starting with and where you are going will determine the method. It looks like your "solid" is created by copying and thickening surfaces from the blue quilt? (A copy geom?) Repeat the process using the new surfaces instead.

You could also copy and untrim the opposite face, copy a face to bridge them, stitch it all together and solidify to merge them into the existing solid. Sounds like a lot of work.

Think what I'd do is go back to the original model and get copies of the surfaces before addition of the holes.

It is possible to Boundary Blend patches over the holes, copy the hole bore surfaces stitch that all together and solidify. I'd avoid that because you're just adding more "detail" instead of getting rid of it.

Dunno, lot's of ways to go about it .... What version of Pro/E are you using? Can you post something beside the neutral or, at least, explain what you are starting with and what the objective is?

Ok Jeff, sorry I was not clear enough. I'll try to explain it better.

I Have WF2 Found. Adv. (no pro assy, no style).

I was given the .stp file ofthe wholesolid hecreated thickeningan originalsurface.That's my starting point.My problem nowis to "remove"or better "fill""the hole without leaving any trace on the surface of the part (no steps or whatever).

Unfortunately I cannot send you the original file (it's rights protected), but I think it would be of no use since it just contain the whole part instead of just a portion of it like I sent you.

I understand that explaining by words is not easy so, If it's not too much, could youtry to modify thepart andsend me your .prtfile so I can see how you do it in the model tree? It would really help me and I'll do the same on the original one.

Thanks a lot!!

Ok. Since you are starting with static, imported geometry the operations will best be done in Independant Geometry edit mode (for lack of a better term; select the imported geometry feature, Edit Definition). Unfortunately that doesn't leave a history you can follow, but I'll try to put together a set of screen shots that illustrate and post or email.

... actually, am wondering if it won't be easier, given the simplicity of the surfaces, involved to re-create them...I'll take a gander after I get a couple of cups of coffee down.

Thanks Jeff,

I do not want to re-make the surfaces, I would like to be able to solve this problem so next time, in case the surfaceare more complicate, I can manage myself.

I'm waiting your "instructions"....THANKS!!!!!

<DIV>I'll describe what I did. You'll want to vary some of this in accordance with your objectives.

_ It appears that the "solid" is not an exact thickened duplication of the blue quilt surfs (look for mismatch on the "window" surfaces). Given that, I'll do the repairs on it instead of the blue quilt surfaces (which I would probably do so they'd be "clean" for future reference).

_ Blank or hide everything except the solid surfaces.

_ Select the import feature (that the solid is a part of), Edit Definition.

_ Menu: Edit / Delete then select the hole's cylindrical faces (four of 'em, or just leave 'em as they probably won't bother anything and may serve future reference purposes).

_ Menu: Geometry / Heal Geometry / Manual / Edit Bndry: select on of the surfaces that needs to be modified.

___ Sel Contour / Select All (you could do From-To, but no need here).

___ Modify / Straighten (will work with this shape): pick vertices on the ends of the edge segment containing the hole trim.

___ Cycle thru choices until the proper curve set is highlighted (01a.jpg) if necessary (highlighting is goofy on my system; different colors, apparently random), then Accept (02a.jpg), Done. Returns you to Sel Surface Menu and removes the hole trim curves.

___ Repeat the process for the three remaining surfaces, then a final Done to get out of the Heal Geometry menu.

___ Check for Geom Chks (there should be none).

_ You have a choice now: Either turn the quilt back into a solid that's part of the import feature or return to normal part mode and Solidify. I chose the latter.
___ Probably doesn't matter most of the time, but I like "solids" to be discrete features in the Model Tree that can be suppressed (Solid Geom can be put on a layer and blanked to hide). To control the state of the geometry in the independent feature use Edit / Feature Properties while in Independent Geometry edit mode.

---------------------

A few things to note:

_ The Independent Geometry edit mode (Data Doctor mode, whatever it's called) is not especially friendly. If you should get things really screwed up and can't undo out of an operation you can cancel the whole Edit operation or Undo the Edit Definition after returning to normal model mode.

_ You should be able to use other Edit Bndry / Modify tools, such as Merge Edges and select the corner vertices on the hole trim curve, for instance. That's a nice simple shape; play with the tools and see how they work.

_ You'll note that the attached file uses Abs Accuracy. I do not like to use Rel Acc except on simple, prismatic parts. That preference is arguable, but all my templates use an abs accuracy of .001" or equiv.

==================================== </DIV>
<DIV>[file removed - proprietary]
====================================

View attachment 1132

View attachment 1133

Addendum:
A final thought: You can, if you want to keep all the imported stuff in it's original state: In your existing or an new file, Insert / Independant / Geometry (will not be avialable in assembly mode, part must be open in it's own window), copy the surfaces, quilts, etc. that you want to work. Select the Independant Geometry feature and Edit Definition. Menu: Geometry / Collapse Geometry and pick the copied stuff. This will throw you back into normal model mode, so once again Edit Definition and proceed as above.

</DIV>
Edited by: administrator

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back