Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Irrational Dimensioning ?

Sympho De Progg

hya fellas,
my question is whether solidworks can be fed irrational dimensions.
for example, can i make a line that's pi cm long ?
if it's possible, how do i do it ?
i'm mainly interested in square roots if that's possible...
i'm not sure this is the right place to post this question, if not, please direct me to the correct category
(answering my q while you're at it would be greatly appreciated
smiley1.gif
).
thnx

Edited by: Sympho De Progg

Hello ! I think is not the right place to post this questions. The right place for your questions is a mathematical forum :)). But I try to answer you:

PI = 3.141 592 653 589 793 238 462 643 383 279 5........ This number was generated by my computer's calculator. If 31 decimal places is a good precision for you then copy - paste this value to dimension your line. If you need more precision then calculate (using Taylor's formula - if I remember well ) more decimals. PI has infinit decimal places so you can have an ocupation for all your life :).

The same answer for ALL irational numbers.

Good luck !
Edited by: Mihail

so you're saying there's no actual way to make an object in SW that's, say:
1x pix sqrt(2)
I can only approximate ?
that's a pretty annoying limitation...

When SMART DIMENSION ask you for input, type PI or type SQRT(your value). But... SW give you only an aproximation :). With many decimal places but... not EXACTLY value.

Nucu said that the function is SQRT. He know better than me. But, if SW do not accept SQRT, try with SQR.

Good luck !

Hellow Nucu !

Go to Tools > Equations and you'll find a nice scientific calculator with Arcsin cos etc. also pi and sqrt

Michael

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back