Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Intralink v/s SVN

SRINIVASANIYER1

We have Intralink. However, the company's management wishes to throw out Intralink and introduce SVN (Tortoise SVN), just because it is free and there is no need to pay for the AMC. Personally I fear for a non-PTC version control software to control Proe Data.
I seek valuable inputs from people who have tried it. Both pros and cons are welcome.

If you are using Pro/E, I would not recommend it. The SVN software does not understand the relationships between Pro/E files. Intralink is much more than a simple Revision control system.

With Pro/engineer, it needs to know the relationships that files have to other files, ie. assemblies to it's parts, drawings to it's parts). Intralink does all this transparently. So, when you check out an assembly, it knows that it also needs all the parts. It also knows where to find them.

Wow .... this would be a good thing since PTC charges two arms and two legs for their software.

Of course I have to agree with 'srieger', as the Pro/E assembly has a written list of part and/or assembly file names and their index numbers in them, as does the drawing files.

I know this from the pre-R18 days, when PTC had a text based file format, as everyone use to edit the assembly or drawing file, where they would quickly rename part file names and revision strings and then submit them to Pro/PDM.

Of course you need to get in-touch with Tortoise SVN, as they may have signed a 'Developers' agreement with PTC so they could edit the PTC assembly & drawings files.

Within the last few years, I had searched the Internet for a db software that was cheaper than PTC's and I do remember there are some out there, which would manage the PTC files.

I used 'IDE' at United Defense in the early 2000's and it was designed to track files that were submitted as a group, where it would allow many users to then retrieve and resubmitted the Pro/E file(s), of course it was used for all file formats. IDE also allowed users to edit the group names and/or include/exclude other files from the group. Of course it was a management nightmare, when it came to drawings/assemblies with hundreds and thousands of part/assembly files that were grouped.
Edited by: tosh382

critical issue either to me

company has a SVN to manage its software development data, so it is obvious to make a test to "marry" Pro/E with it.

still, costs are reliability are major driven factors - if there is someting as good as Intralink, with reasonable price, then there is a way to follow

at least makes sense to check what other big Pro/e seats holders have at "house"

so I found this - http://www.aras.com/

http://www.deelip.com/?p=5350

supposed to be intergrated with Pro/E, used bz Xerox

muadib3d said:
company has a SVN to manage its software development data, so it is obvious to make a test to "marry" Pro/E with it.

I can see the manager, knowing nothing at all about both software development AND cad design, thinking that SVN can be a good choice for both... but in real world, SVN is a tool made by software developers for software developers, with a completely different concept of what's "important" and what's "crucial". Besides, unless you customize it, it's not able to tell the difference between an assembly file and a mail to Santa Claus ;D

Aras is a different story, is a capable data management software but out of the box it's not integrated in proE. You can buy integration tools from third parties though.

In the past you could buy DDM (DesignDataManager) but now I think there's an agreement not to sell it to people that already have a license of a PTC data management software.

Paolo

all I would expect from side partner of PTC which provides PLM solution to Pro/E to manage relationship, referencing between files, manage iterations and revision workflow, memebers access, let me create libraries and Product groups

oh, yes, and let me make update, upload to workspace and check in or check out from server directly from Pro/E

Thank you all for your contributions. You reflect my concerns about using SVN for Proe Data. I had a look at Aras. looks capable.

Thanks once again. I still would like to hear from people who have TRIED and FAILED !!!
smiley36.gif
That would make my management LISTEN. Else I will have to try and fail...
smiley18.gif

there is also windows based PDM tool delivered by PTC, but not developed internaly - Windchill Product Point. Capabilities regarding PDMLink or Intralink are downgraded but, for simple data managment seems to be enough

more here

http://windchillproductpoint.com/comparison.html

here

<a href="http://www.google.pl/#hl=de&source=hp&biw=1369&bih=644&q=WindchillProductPointGettingStartedWithProENGINEER&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&fp=44fc9d9c5a16998" target="_blank"> http://www.google.pl/#hl=de&source=hp&biw=1369&b ih=644&q=WindchillProductPointGettingStartedWithProENGIN EER&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&fp=44fc9d9c5a1699 8
</a>

and here

[url]http://www.google.pl/#hl=de&biw=1369&bih=644&q=W indchill+ProductPoint:+Exploring+the+product&aq=f&aq i=&aql=&oq=&fp=44fc9d9c5a16998 [/url]

Have you looked into ProductCenter? I used it when I was in Siemens and it made me really miss IntraLink, but it gets the most basic job done and it integrates with Pro/E for a fraction of the cost. I missed having multiple workspaces, but there's a manual workaround for that.

On a separate comment, it surprises me that Siemens still uses Pro/E instead of their own NX in some places.

this is the back door PTC tries to sneak into European automotive OEM market:)

truely they are already in Audi, VW, Skoda, but I suppose they have apethite for something bigger
smiley36.gif

Aron is there something more You could introduce about ProductCenter regarding your personal experience?

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back