Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Intralink 8 install questions

neiltek

In mid December my company will be installing Intralink 8. Currently we don't have any data management software in place. Our current file system is pretty bad also. I've only been working there about a month and I've been going through the parts and assemblies and I've discovered a lot of duplicate parts. The folders are setup by project, so some of the assemblies share the same parts, but different file version. When I try to load two assembliesin the same sessionthe second assembly I load crashes, if it shares parts with the first. It doesn't matter which assemblies I load,the second one to load willcrash if they have the same parts.
Should I be fixing all the assemblies, which I have been working on in my spare time, or is there another way to resovle this? Are there any other unforseen issues I should be concerned about also? Thanks

We ran into same thing on 3.0 long time ago. I would load all standard
parts in their folders. Then bring in only assemblies you need. You may
have to make a descision on where to draw the line as each one
will require some work. You open assembly in workspace and start
replacing parts with one from Ilink untill it does not fail. We took a
year or so to weed out stuff we figured we no longer needed and just
archived it. All new projects went in Intralink. After a year or so
things ran smooth. We went from 10 gig to under one gig because we
eliminated duplicate parts. I found 22 of the same part on our
harddrive! Basically you will have to work with the old file system and
the new one side by side until you can phase all needed info in to
Ilink.