Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Installing Intralink 8

kdmgooner

I s there anyone out there who has taken the plunge and moved to Intralink 8? We are currently looking into this and are being quoted over

I am also standing on the side line waiting to see what happens. I'm very leary of jumping on a new release of software. I've been burned before.

rchase

They just quoted us the install for $140K US (not including travel & lodging) for a 16-user environment. They also informed us that you must purchase a Site license of Oracle. No one would give us a solid number for the cost of the Oracle license, but it was believed to be in the 5-zero range.

I think they're just pushing the heck out of the install and 'HIGHLY ENCOURAGED' training, because of soft financial performance. Don't let PTC fool you, the NUMBER ONEmotivation behind every move is financial.

Simply put, if we can't install & migrate easily, we'll drop the product.

Anyone aware of any other PDM products worth investigating?

I figure I'll catch some flack from this because it sounds like I'm defending PTC. All I'm really trying to do is clear some of the fog and misconceptions.

Stevemyers,

This is not Pro/INTRALINK, this is Windchill. You won't install easilly. If you want easy, look into the On-Demand solution. Pay for it, take some web-based training and maybe get a week of mentoring and you will be up and running.IBM takes care of the admin overhead.

You do not have to purchase a site license of Oracle. If you have hundreds ofWindchill users it might make sense to purchase site licenses at aper processor fee. You do have to purchase Oracle licensing separate from theWindchill 8.0 software. Aparently the Oracle you got with Pro/INTRALINK 3.x was tied to the software. So when you change software, the Oracle licenses become void. Also, PTC cannot sell you the Oracle licenses. Licensing costs are freely available on Oracle's web site. It is all based on number of processors in the Oracle Server(s). Some of the PTC resellers are also Oracle resellers. You can buy directly from Oracle. You can even puchase the Oracle licenses from Dell.

Sure, PTC is making money from this migration. They are in business. But that isn't why they encourage the training. This is a new product. There are new concepts, terminology, functionality. Much of what you know about using and administering Pro/INTRALINK 3.x is useless in the Windchill environment. For me this learning curve has been more difficult than when I first learned Pro/INTRALINK.

There have been other Data Management message strings recently talking about third party products. [url]http://www.mcadcentral.com/proe/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=28 781[/url]

Keith,

Some companies are preparing to move in the near future. They have specific business needs that the Windchill architecture will address. Specifically, these companies need to share their data management system with China, India and other locations on the other side of the ocean. Everyone else is sitting back and waiting for 2007-8.

Windchillis a web-based, enterpriselevelproduct. It doesn't just serve Engineering like Pro/INTRALINK 3.x does. Most companies I've talked to are skipping Pro/INTRALINK 8.0 and upgrading to PDMLink 8.0. It is more easilly tied to corporate inintiatives and has a greater payback potential.

Itrequires a servlet engine, web server, and LDAP server. Then there is Oracle which you must install manually. For Pro/INTRALINK 8.0 there are 15 CDs if you include thelanguages andvisualization. For PDMLink there are 19 CDs. Do you know how and have access to alias the Windchill server in on your DNS? Your IT department may not like it, but they will have to support this effort. It isn't an ERP system, but it is on the same corporate visibility level.

If you want less expensive, look into the VARs who are certified to sell and implement Windchill. If you are a really big company, you can negotiate better rates with PTC, but for everyone else the VAR is the cheaper route.

Hope this helped. Good Luck

Thanks for your input guys. Perhaps I should make it clearer that it is Intralink 8 we are looking at not PDM Link/Windchill. Winchill for us a s a company would be one for thefuture, at this point in time we just want to keep up with the latest version of Intralink without breaking the bank.

Keith

As mmead0ws said, don't confuse Ilink 8 with the Ilink of the past.

Ilink 8 is Windchill pure and simple with all learning curve and expense of any other Windchill module. There is very little difference in implementation effort between Ilink 8 & PDMLink 8. Ilink just has a few less features than PDMLink, but the implementation preparation and education are about the same.

We are a longtime Ilink user and now a new PDMLink user. You may be able to install the new Ilink without help from PTC but configuring it and using it are an entirely different task.

Good Luck,

Bill

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back