Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Insert mode

Grandcourt

Every alternate time I activate insert mode all features after the required insertion point are supressed but the insertion point goes to the end of the model tree. This means I have to resume all and activate insert mode again incurring a lengthy regeneration. I am using Wildfire 2.0. Does anyone have a solution?

Helolo Grandcourt

You can move the "insert here" line in the model tree placing it wherever yo want to. This will only supress or restore only the features that you want to, thus reducing the time to regenereate.

Thanks for the advice. I do use this technique but as my model tree is typically 2-3000 features long it is often not practical to drag the insertion point around.

I haven't seen a feature tree of 2-3000 steps anywhere in my lifetime ! What (the hell) do you use CAD for ?

Alex

(really curious)

To satisfy your curiosity, I am modelling large powerboat decks as surfaces down to a fair amount of detail (hatch drainage gulleys etc)

Grandcourt,

you don't have to drag the insertion point, just create a mapkey which will activate insert mode and with one click on desired place in your long model tree you will be able to put insertion point. If you want to goback (with insert point) to the end of model tree just right click on insertion point and 'cancel'.

I have been having a problem with INSERT MODE also but in WF3. Any part that I try to insert gets added to the end of the model tree instead of where I selected to activate insert mode.

I want to insert a valve into an assembly using insert mode as I always did in 2001. When I hit the check to insert the part into the assembly the part goes to the end of the model tree and the insert arrow is now at the end with all the previous post insert parts suppressed. I drag the part up to where I wanted it inserted and the insert arrow follows. I try to insert another part and it goes to the end again. I have to manually drag each part up the model tree to where I need it. I also have large models so this isn't a prefered solution.

I tried doing a web search and found this old post. Also couldn

This can happen if you have a failure in your part/assy and resolve it by supressing the failed features/components while in insert mode. Depending on how you suppress things, Pro|E kicks you outof insert mode. Sometimes it happens, sometimes you're left in insert mode. I haven't figured out the pattern, if there is one.

There are no failures in the model nor circular references. I activate insert mode which automatically supresses everything after the part I select. I proceed to add a part to the assembly and when I hit check to finish, the part appears at the end of the model tree along with the "Insert Here" arrow.

I have a detailed email with screen shots that I've emailed to everyone I know (with no luck). Can I send it to you?

Hmm, have you sent it to PTC? That's your next step, see if they can reproduce what you're doing.

If no one else can see anything in what you've emails, emailing me isn't likely to reveal anything either. I think you need to see if PTC can reproduce it.

I sent it to our local reseller that we have support through and they said they're stumped. I will send it directly to PTC Support. I'll let you know what I hear back.

Thanks

Bill

@Grandcourt:

I consider this to be a very annoying bug. Insert mode only works once. If you have set insert mode you can then only drag the arrow or cancel the entire insert mode and then set insert mode at some other feature again. Yes, this will cause very long regeneration times for nothing. This sucks...
I usually drag the arrow and use the scroll button on the mouse to drag faster.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back