Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Insert an offset plane

jjenco

Greetings: I have a flat plate with four holes around the perimeter at 90 degrees apart. I need to create four new holes of a different size around the perimeter at 90 degrees apart, but offset from the first set of four holes by 45 degrees. The result will be eight equally spaced holes around the perimeter, alternating in size. I suspect i have to insert a plane and offset the plane by 45 degrees, but can't figure out how. What's the easiest way to accomplish my task?

Thanks

u can do like this...
first make one hole n do circular pattern with angle being 360* n instances will be 4 with equal spacing option checked...
then select the face n sketch a different sized circle which is 45* to the previous circle... then repeat the circular pattern steps..

smiley1.gif

Thanks. That's exactly what I planned to do, but how do you position the first of the second series of holes 45d offset from the others?

I was thinking that you would have to insert a plane offset from either the front or right plane by 45d in order to establish a starting point for the hole. Maybe there's a more obvious way to do this??

If you could provide steps to determine the placement of the first hole of the second group, that would be most appreciated.

Thanks

John

Hi,

Are your holes going into the edge of the plate? If so, try this: select the circular face, select from the drop-down menu Insert>Reference geometry>Plane. You should see that 'Offet at a distance' is active. You just need to type in half of the plate thickness to get the plane on the centre of your new hole.

There are several other options for making modelling planes in the same dialogue box; you might find one of them suits you better.

Good luck!

Thanks for the reply and suggestion. I'll keep it in mind for the future.

In this application, the holes are not on edge, but on the flat side of the plate, disposed around the perimeter.

Hi again,

In that case, to make a new plane that runs through the axis of your offset holes, first sketch a vertical or horizontal line on the circular face,starting atthe circle centre. Add an angled line starting at the centreand dimension itat 45 deg to the first line (if one of your fixed planes runs through the centre you can use this to dimension from, rather than a sketched line). This will be the axis of your new hole. exit sketch. Make the sketch visible. Ctrl-select the angled line you just drew and either the circular face or any plane parallel to it. Go to 'Insert>Reference Geometry>Plane' again. You should see 'plane at angle' is active and '90deg' is the default angle. ok this and you will have a plane that passes through the centre of your disc and the axis of your hole. You can of course change the sketch to adjust the angle & position of the plane at any time.

Hope this is better for you.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back