Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Importing Datum Curve Sketch question.

nofalloff

Is there a way to automatically reduce the number of nodes in a spline? I have a fairly large sketch I need to use as a datum curve to build an embossment in the form of a logo. I scanned the sketch and traced over it in AutoCAD. Saved a DXF and used that imported that into pro/e to create the datum curve I will use for the feature. However firstly the curve is broken up into many more splines than it was created with in AutoCAD. Secondly, There are a serious number of superfluous nodes. Easley 4 to 5 times the number to achieve the proper curve. <?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

Can any one offer some tips for connecting and simplifying these splines?

FWIW It would be very useful to be able to import a .jpg (or any raster image) to trace over natively in sketcher. I get parts from 3<SUP>rd</SUP> party suppliers with no documentation and I have to replicate hole patterns and mating/gasket surfaces so I can add them to our parts/assemblies.

Someone mentioned a while back to me that pro concept might be good for this, does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks-

nofalloff said:
FWIW It would be very useful to be able to import a .jpg (or any raster image) to trace over natively in sketcher

We do this... Create a flat surface and add the JPG/TIF of your part as an apearance texture on that surface. Create a bounding-box datum curve with some known dimensions so you can scale the image until it is the correct size. Then create a sketched datum curve and use the image asa guide.

Works great when you're handed sketches from Industrial Designer types.

Sorta sounds like it's being converted to a polyline when you dxfout. You should be able to correct that or use another format that will write out a spline. You can Sparse a spline in sketcher mode.

I've heard that in some future release, Trace Sketch in ISDX will allow for snapping to images (this is something that Pro/Concept can indeed do). In the meantime, jeff4136 is right. Set your DXF Export option to Splines instead of Polylines and you should get a cleaner curve.

View attachment 954

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back