Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Import DXF or DWG to Solidworks

quasifun

I'm using ACAD 2007 LT and Solidworks2007. I need to import a DWG or DXF to aSolidworks project.

I have made a simple slab 1 inch thick and need to import an existing DWG on top of it as a second sketch. When it imports, it is way far from the center of the slab.

I think it has to do with the origins of the DWG not aligning with the origins of the Solidworks slab.

I have tried to move the DWG UCS (using Tools/Move USC) but still don't get a correct alignment.
smiley7.gif

How do I get the imported UCS (origin) to align up with the slabs UCS? The slab is centered and fully constrained around the origin.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Quasifun,

Edit the sketch that you inserted the dwg into, then simply select ALL of the dwg geometry and select either a from/to screen position or an x/y +/- location.

good luck.
smiley32.gif

I have found that if you movethepoint of .DWG you want to be on the origin of thesolid model to 0,0it will be on origin when imported.

I have tried to move the origin of the orginal DWG to the center of the DWG by using Tools/Move UCS and selecting the center of the DWG. It still imports off center. Should I be using Tools/New UCS/Origin?

In the past I've done as Ttraser suggested to center the DWG after the fact but in my opinion it takes too many steps as opposed to an automated insertion.

All the DWG's are drawn by me in ACADLT 2007 and imported by me into SW 2007 so I feel comfortable saying there should be no "errors" in the drawings. I use two computers, one with ACAD and one with SW, with files saved on a server.

I'm beginning to feel that there is a setting I'm missing in SW. Is it possible to post the DWG and SLDPRT file for you to play with?

All I did to accomplish what I think you are trying to do is select the entire drawing in AutoCAD,do a move fromthe center of thedrawing to the coordinates0,0, then save the result. It has been my experience that Solidworks puts 0,0 of the .DWG on the origin of the modelwhen importing.

Maybe I was trying to do it backwards. I was trying to move the origin instead of the parts. I will try to move the parts to 0,0 and see if it works.

Thanks again for your help.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back