Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Ideas for modelling a conical engraving cutter?

Eros Nicolau

Hello,
I'm new here, I do have some experience using SW - but would not call myself advanced.
A friend of mine regularly builds himself conical engraving cutters out of carbide steel stock.
The anatomy of such a cutter is best described here: Antares - Engraving Tools, Router Tools, Industrial Blanks, Collet Tools, & Vinyl Plotter Blades
How you make one:
1. You take the cylindrical stock and grind away exactly half of the tip, over a sufficient length
2. You position the stock at a certain angle to the grinding stone and set up a starting and an ending limit to the rotation of the stock along its axis - and start rotating the stock along its axis, against the grinding stone. This achieves a partial half-cone - partial in the sense that one side of the cone results longer, as described in the drawings from the above link.
The problem with this approach is that you have to achieve a given angle of the final/longer edge, but you can only work with the angle of the stock to the grinder and with the end limits. - and finding all these values needed for achieving a given cutting angle is very complex.
I thought a SW model would help a lot in figuring these numbers out, my problem is though that I can't seem to figure a way of achieving this model.
Can someone help out with some advice?
Thank you,
Eros

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back