Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

How to model a Wood Screw?

Quick Karl

Anyone know how to model a tapered screw? A wood screw is a good example of what I need to model.<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

Second - once I figure out how to model the tapered thread, how can I increase the root of the thread progressively along the axis of the screw?

Yea, it can be done simply enough.

I've used surface intersections to create guide curves to get this tapered thread effect.

1 - Create your helix.

2 - Sweep a surface perpendicular to the axis along the helix

3 - Create a revolved helix the same shape as your taper of your wood screw and make sure it intersects with the helical swept surface.

4 - Create an intersection curve

5 - Sweep your thread profile along the intersection curve.

As for the second question, if I understand you correctly, can you not just create a second helical path at a different pitch?

As it turns out I need to model a dual-tapered-helix wood-screw; something more along the lines of a tapered drill bit, but with a higher twist rate than a typical drill bit. I've made some progress on the part so far so all is good, plus I can't read whatever language many of the parts on 3dcontentcentral.com are described in, so most of the stuff there is pretty worthless to me.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back