Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

How to extrude perpendicular to a new 3D

Karol

I have made a sketch on an inclined 3D plane. When I extrude the sketch, it still extrudes normal to the front plane of the part file.

I want it to extrude normal to the new, inclined plane on which I drew the sketch. How?

I drew a new coordinte system normal to this plane, but no help.

Hello Karol,

I have one quick question for you. Are you sure your
sketch is on the inclined 3D plane, and not on the Front
plane? When a sketch is extruded, it extrudes normal to
the plane the sketch was created on.

Try these steps and see if it works for you.

1. Click the Sketch command
2. Select the inclined 3D plane
3. Create your sketch

Jon
Edited by: JonC_TEDCF

Karol,

Check the selection box for Extrude Direction right below the Depth option. Clear out any references that might be there like in the shown picture.

The direction is required only for 3d sketches but can be used for any sketch feature when you want to extrude in a particular direction which is a lot easier than sweep for a simple extruded shape.

swui_Extrude%20with%20wrong%20Direction.PNG

Also try Right Clicking the Sketch feature and choosing Edit Sketch Plane The icon on the top row with a Plane symbol getting poked. This is what Jon was referring to in his post above. The sketch plane can be changed at any time or even deleted to un-attach a sketch from a reference temporarily or to move the sketch higher in the feature tree.

Michael

Edited by: mjcole_ptc

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back