Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

How to customize BOM report from Pro/E

Hi,

Use bom_fmt.txt which isput into the start up directory.

I have added a file I have used - it can be customised to show any of theparameters set up in your model.

2009-03-08_174610_bom_fmt.zip

I have had problems trying to add too many parameters but it is easy to modify and play about until you get the format you want. .... I also added these options to my config file to stop the BoM writing as html

info_output_mode choose

info_output_format text

Hi I saw this in the forum and I was wondering what folder would this file go into and what do I need to do to make it work correctly. I am looking to extract this BOM and put it into Excel..

Thanks, Dave

paste the directory of your choosing to the bom_format option. As far as the exporting to excel, there is no direct way to do this as in SolidWorks, the best option is to save the bom file as *.csv. To do this click on the BOM and under the Table drop down choose Save Table --> as csv or whatever. Open the file in excel and on the second import screen make sure you check comma. Let me know if this explanation was too skimpy, or just completely wrong.
smiley36.gif

Edited by: jelston

Thanks, it works well.
Do you by any chance, if it's possible to export depency attributes also? I tried without success.

Edited by: canopys

canopys said:
Thanks, it works well.
Do you by any chance, if it's possible to export depency attributes also? I tried without success.

"dependency attributes"? Explain please

I use a product called Nitro-BOM that has paid for itself many times over. I've used it for about 6-7 years. They have been very good about making enhancements at my requests. You can download a trial version (30 days I think). Your parameter and pretty much anything else you need is extracted STRAGHT INTO EXCEL. The paid version allows you add/modify/delete parameter data in Excel and upload it straight into the ProE part/assembly and save it to your part/assembly. You have to be in assembly mode obviously. Ycan't extract a BOM from a part. And no, I dont work for them. http://www.simplifiedlogic.com/nitromation/nitro-bom

Have a day,

Dave

To use Info>Bill of Materials you need to have a BOM.fmt file in a directory, your Config.pro needs to point to this, with the following line:

bom_format C:\<path>\<filename>.fmt

where the path is where the file sits and filename is the name you have given it.
This is an example of the .fmt file, copy/paste it into notepad then save and change the file extension to .fmt:

.breakdown
%$type %$name contains items
.titles *Part Number;*Description;*Mass;*Qty;*Rev;*Comments;
-------------------------------------------------------
.row *%$name[-20.20s];*%title_1 %title_2[-50.50s];*%masskg[-5.1f];*%$quantity[-3d];*%REV[7s];*%comments;

You obviously need parameters as descibed in the .fmt file or you can change these to suit yours.

Click info>bill of materials, click file, then the file will save as a .bom.1 extension. Change the extension to .txt
Open excel, import the .txt file using * as field separator. Save the file as a .xls.

I have written an Excel macro which cleans up this file, not sure where to post it.

Depency attributes are attributes set at on a component in an assembly context. After asking PTC it appeas it is not possible to add them in the BOM extraction.
Finally I nused the method explained by brenyw. You can configure the format file (.fmt) as you want to customize the BOM extraction.

More specifically how do i find a list of parameters that
are available for use in the bom_format.fmt file?

I want to be able to assign custom strings to each part in
the assembly so that when i create a BOM from the assembly
it adds not only the part name, but also say the
manufacturer or source, unit price, or a part description.

For example, how do i set the %title_1 and %title_2
parameters that brenyw provided in his config setup?

lots of questions i know, ANY help is appreciated.

Sorry about the late reply, if you haven't worked it out
already, title_1 and title_2 are parameters which you enter
in the "add parameters" screen, go TOOLS>PARAMETERS> when
you see the screen pick + then add whatever parameters you
want. In my example, title_1 and title_2 are of type
"string" You may call these parameters anything you like,
and just modify the previous bom_format.fmt file to suit
(using notepad).

This is an old post, but just worked it out and works great, however i need the item number also in my export and cannot get it to work. anyone know how to do this?
This is what I have so far, but the index does not work
I basically need the format"
item number (tab)part number (tab)*(tab)qty

.breakdown
%$type %$name contains items
.titles *Index;*part number;*space;*Qty

.row %$index[-1];%$name[-1];*;%$quantity[-1]

OK I found it on the web.
Here is the syntax for formatting the BOM output spelled out clearly (c 1998!!!!)
Why PTC took this out of the help files is crazy.
Or smart... as you'll have to be on maintenance to figure it out, or not as they guy on the phone may not even know. Regardless my company stopped paying maintenance so I rely on good folks like you if your reading this.
This will save me hrs of delay as now I don't have to make an assembly print and our BOM person can use the text file directly.

http://silverstone.fortunecity.com/daytona/344/proehelp/fund amentals/infomenu.htm

Chris

Tried the above link and it was broken.

I have a related but different question. Are there more report parametera other than ".breakdown" and .summary"??

I would like an all inclusive report, including assemblies and parts with quantity count.

Currently using:

.breakdown
the %$type[16s] %$name[30s] %drawing[20s]
.row %$quantity[5d]; %$type[16s]; %$name[10s] ;%material[15s] ;%Description[10s];%title_blk_1[10s];%cut_code[10s]
.summary
Summary of parts for assembly %$name
.row %$quantity[5d]; %$type[16s]; %$name[10s] ;%material[15s] ;%Description[10s];%title_blk_1[10s];%cut_code[10s]

When output using Info > BOM is made, all the parts and assemblies are listed with the parameters defined in the *.fmt file.

1. When simplified representations are defined, is it possible to output only contents (parts/assemblies) of currently active SimpRep? What parameters should I define in *.fmt file? Is there a Pro/E parameter which defines state of the component, e.g. Excluded, Master Rep, Default Rep, etc.

2. Also, how to filter out and flatten (recursively) assemblies that include parts that are to be shown in BOM? In other words, is it possible to make a similar representation of BOM that is made on the drawing when Recursive commands for flattening the component and Filter for filtering out unwanted components are used.

3. And last question. How do you filter out environment in assembly? We usually define subassembly of other groups, called Environment,to which current assembly relates or is connected and is shown on the drawing but we are excluding it from BOM on the drawing? How to filter this subassembly out of BOM, that is output using Info > BOM?

TIA.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back